Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Emergency alert test comes as B.C. mops up from 'bomb cyclone' with high winds

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 20 Nov, 2024 03:36 PM
  • Emergency alert test comes as B.C. mops up from 'bomb cyclone' with high winds

A test for Canada's emergency alert system took place Wednesday just as British Columbia was cleaning up from a so-called "bomb cyclone" weather system that cut power and battered parts of the coast with hurricane-force winds.

The national alert system is typically tested twice a year, with the latest alarm sounding in B.C. at 1:55 p.m. Pacific time, in addition to other provinces.

The test involves an alert tone and message broadcast to radio, television and compatible mobile devices.

While the message says, "this is ONLY a TEST," it came as nearly 75,000 homes and businesses were still without power, mostly on Vancouver Island, and as weather warnings remained in effect for parts of B.C.'s south coast. 

A statement from the Ministry of Emergency Management says the government recognized that many parts of the province were still under wind and other weather warnings, but it's important to ensure its systems are tested regularly.

It says the testing schedule is established by Pelmorex Corp., a weather information company, in consultation with provinces and territories. 

"These regular tests help make sure that people in B.C. are aware and know what to expect in the event of an actual emergency alert, and provide an opportunity to address any issues with the system before there’s a real emergency," it says.

Winds exceeded 100 km/h in multiple areas along B.C.'s coast late Tuesday, with gusts recorded on the remote Sartine Island off the northern tip of Vancouver Island at up to 170 km/h, equivalent to a Category 2 hurricane.

Wind warnings from Environment Canada remain active for western Vancouver Island, where gusts of up to 110 km/h were expected to ease later Wednesday. 

Stretches of several highways on Vancouver Island were closed because of downed power lines, fallen trees and debris, while BC Ferries cancelled several sailings on its major routes Wednesday due to safety concerns stemming from high winds.

MORE National ARTICLES

Canadians still not cleared to leave Gaza, Blair says movement likely in coming days

Canadians still not cleared to leave Gaza, Blair says movement likely in coming days
Canadians could be allowed to leave the Gaza Strip in "the coming days," Defence Minister Bill Blair said Friday, but shared no firm timeline as Canadians faced another day of being left off the list. Groups of people, including foreign nationals from several other countries, have been allowed to exit the Palestinian territory through the Rafah border crossing with Egypt in the last two days.

Canadians still not cleared to leave Gaza, Blair says movement likely in coming days

Surrey RCMP need public's help in locating missing man Balraj Dhanoa

Surrey RCMP need public's help in locating missing man Balraj Dhanoa
Surrey RCMP is requesting the public’s assistance in locating a missing male. On Thursday, Nov 2nd, Balraj Dhanoa was reported missing. He was last seen at approximately 3pm on Thursday in the 14800 block of Fraser Highway, in Surrey.

Surrey RCMP need public's help in locating missing man Balraj Dhanoa

4 people arrested in drugs seizure

4 people arrested in drugs seizure
Mounties in North Vancouver say officers arrested four people and seized large amounts of illicit marijuana and psilocybin -- also known as magic mushrooms --following a report of a kidnapping at a warehouse earlier this week. The R-C-M-P say they received a report that a man was being held at the warehouse after being kidnapped at gunpoint Tuesday afternoon.  

4 people arrested in drugs seizure

Elementary school in Surrey set to reopen after fire

Elementary school in Surrey set to reopen after fire
An elementary school in the Metro Vancouver municipality of Surrey is set to reopen the day after an early-morning fire caused damage to an annex building. A message posted on the website of Cloverdale Traditional says the fire department and staff from the school district assessed the whole school and determined it could reopen and classes could resume on Friday.

Elementary school in Surrey set to reopen after fire

Surveillance video of an alleged suspect in unsolved murder released: VPD

Surveillance video of an alleged suspect in unsolved murder released: VPD
Police have released new surveillance video of an alleged suspect in an unsolved murder in East Vancouver last year.  They say 37-year-old Zhuowen Gong was fatally stabbed while walking near Renfrew and Graveley streets around 9:45 p-m on November 2nd last year, and police say the motive behind the attack is still unknown.

Surveillance video of an alleged suspect in unsolved murder released: VPD

Vancouver magic mushroom stores raided by police are reopening

Vancouver magic mushroom stores raided by police are reopening
One of three magic mushroom stores that were raided by Vancouver police this week has already reopened, and the owner says his other two are restocking and will be back in business on Friday. The Vancouver Police Department says it executed search warrants at the stores on Wednesday in an investigation into the sale of illegal psychedelic drugs, with officers seizing "a variety of controlled substances."

Vancouver magic mushroom stores raided by police are reopening