Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Emergency alert test comes as B.C. mops up from 'bomb cyclone' with high winds

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 20 Nov, 2024 03:36 PM
  • Emergency alert test comes as B.C. mops up from 'bomb cyclone' with high winds

A test for Canada's emergency alert system took place Wednesday just as British Columbia was cleaning up from a so-called "bomb cyclone" weather system that cut power and battered parts of the coast with hurricane-force winds.

The national alert system is typically tested twice a year, with the latest alarm sounding in B.C. at 1:55 p.m. Pacific time, in addition to other provinces.

The test involves an alert tone and message broadcast to radio, television and compatible mobile devices.

While the message says, "this is ONLY a TEST," it came as nearly 75,000 homes and businesses were still without power, mostly on Vancouver Island, and as weather warnings remained in effect for parts of B.C.'s south coast. 

A statement from the Ministry of Emergency Management says the government recognized that many parts of the province were still under wind and other weather warnings, but it's important to ensure its systems are tested regularly.

It says the testing schedule is established by Pelmorex Corp., a weather information company, in consultation with provinces and territories. 

"These regular tests help make sure that people in B.C. are aware and know what to expect in the event of an actual emergency alert, and provide an opportunity to address any issues with the system before there’s a real emergency," it says.

Winds exceeded 100 km/h in multiple areas along B.C.'s coast late Tuesday, with gusts recorded on the remote Sartine Island off the northern tip of Vancouver Island at up to 170 km/h, equivalent to a Category 2 hurricane.

Wind warnings from Environment Canada remain active for western Vancouver Island, where gusts of up to 110 km/h were expected to ease later Wednesday. 

Stretches of several highways on Vancouver Island were closed because of downed power lines, fallen trees and debris, while BC Ferries cancelled several sailings on its major routes Wednesday due to safety concerns stemming from high winds.

MORE National ARTICLES

34 year old charged with numerous firearms charges: Surrey RCMP

34 year old charged with numerous firearms charges: Surrey RCMP
R-C-M-P in Surrey say a 34-year-old man has been charged with multiple offences after an investigation that began with a traffic stop last week. The Mounties say two men were arrested after an officer from New Westminster stopped a vehicle that had been driving erratically just after 2 a-m last Thursday.

34 year old charged with numerous firearms charges: Surrey RCMP

Pedestrian struck in Vancouver in serious collision, VPD seeking witnesses

Pedestrian struck in Vancouver in serious collision, VPD seeking witnesses
Vancouver police are looking for witnesses to a serious collision on the city's west side that sent a pedestrian to hospital with life-altering injuries. Police say a 57-year-old woman was at the crosswalk of Arbutus Street and West 33rd Avenue Tuesday afternoon when she was struck by a red Mini Cooper.   

Pedestrian struck in Vancouver in serious collision, VPD seeking witnesses

Calgary man found not criminally responsible for five stabbing deaths faces review

Calgary man found not criminally responsible for five stabbing deaths faces review
A lawyer for an Alberta man found not criminally responsible for killing five young people at a Calgary house party is asking the province's review board to release him on an absolute discharge. A hearing has heard that Matthew de Grood had several two-week unescorted passes from an Edmonton group home over the last year to visit his parents in Calgary.

Calgary man found not criminally responsible for five stabbing deaths faces review

Lifetime cost of Canada's F-35 fighter jets is $73.9B: parliamentary budget officer

Lifetime cost of Canada's F-35 fighter jets is $73.9B: parliamentary budget officer
Canada will pay an estimated $73.9 billion to buy, fly and maintain its new fleet of F-35 fighter jets, the parliamentary budget officer said Thursday. Yves Giroux said his independent analysis of the procurement project is "broadly in line" with the government's own estimates from January, which said the cost would be around $70 billion.

Lifetime cost of Canada's F-35 fighter jets is $73.9B: parliamentary budget officer

Appeal dismissal for 3 pot log smugglers

Appeal dismissal for 3 pot log smugglers
Three men accused of trying to smuggle more than 300 kilograms of pot into California in hollowed-out logs will not be allowed to appeal their case to the Supreme Court of Canada. Todd Ferguson, Daniel Joinson and Shane Fraser were arrested after the doctored logs were identified at a log home manufacturing company in California in 2006.

Appeal dismissal for 3 pot log smugglers

Large fentanyl bust in Mission

Large fentanyl bust in Mission
A call to Mission R-C-M-P about shots fired in the Hatzic Valley has resulted in the dismantling of a large fentanyl operation. Police say they were called in October to a report of gunshots heard and when they arrived they found several spent bullet casings, but confirmed no one on the property was injured. 

Large fentanyl bust in Mission