Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Nov, 2024 12:01 PM
  • Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

The federal government says it is not planning to intervene to resolve the labour dispute at Canada Post, even with less than a month to go before Christmas.

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon said sending the matter to binding arbitration "is not in the cards," even though he invoked that authority only a few weeks ago to resolve the ports dispute and a few months ago to resolve the rail dispute.

"Every dispute is different, but here the issues are fundamental. The issues are around a transformed business model for the corporation," MacKinnon said in French.

"It's not a secret to anyone that Canada Post is built to deliver letters. But Canadians don't send many letters anymore. It has to be transformed into a business that, yes, delivers letters in a sustainable way, but also a business that delivers parcels in a profitable way."

MacKinnon also said sending the matter to arbitration is more complicated than it was in previous labour disputes given those fundamental issues.

"It is difficult to envisage a situation where you could find an arbitrator who could adequately cover the issues that are at hand. These are differences of vision currently at the table that are hard to bridge using conventional arbitration," MacKinnon said.

"While I would never rule out any option in the future, what I would say right now and for the foreseeable future is if this agreement does not come together at the table, there will be no end to this labour conflict."

In a statement posted to X on Wednesday morning, MacKinnon said the special mediator appointed to help end the labour dispute reported the two sides are too far apart on critical issues for mediation to be of any use.

As such, mediation has been temporarily suspended, and MacKinnon summoned both sides to his office in Ottawa. He said the message is the two sides are responsible for the consequences of the dispute, which has stalled mail and parcel delivery since Nov. 15.

MacKinnon said negotiations "have not budged" even with eight days under the special mediator.

Around 55,000 workers are on the picket line calling for a "fair wage" and better working conditions, which Canada Post insists will add heavy costs and create inflexibility in the postal service.

"Obviously, there are small businesses and others who are being affected by this labour conflict," MacKinnon told reporters, adding he isn't happy with the situation.

Asked how he can reconcile with small business owners, given how the government has handled other labour disputes in recent months, MacKinnon said the government is "acting with every possible tool in the tool kit to bring an end to this dispute."

"But this dispute belongs to the parties, and the parties need to find a solution."

Last week, Canada Post reported a loss of $315 million before tax in the third quarter of 2024. It attributed the loss to a 0.6 per cent drop in parcels compared to the same period in 2023, representing six million pieces.

MORE National ARTICLES

Woman, 45, killed in hit-and-run, RCMP say suspect still at large

Woman, 45, killed in hit-and-run, RCMP say suspect still at large
RCMP say a 45-year-old woman was killed while officers chased a man fleeing in a vehicle late Saturday night just outside of Edmonton. Supt. Leanne MacMillian says Beaumont RCMP located the suspect in a parked truck at a local business in Beaumont, about 25 kilometres south of Edmonton.

Woman, 45, killed in hit-and-run, RCMP say suspect still at large

Surrey RCMP need the public’s assistance in locating missing woman Navdeep Kaur. 

Surrey RCMP need the public’s assistance in locating missing woman Navdeep Kaur. 
Surrey RCMP is requesting the public’s assistance in locating a missing female. Kaur is described as a 28 year old south Asian female, 5’5”, 125 lbs, with black long hair and brown eyes. Police and family are concerned for her health and well-being.

Surrey RCMP need the public’s assistance in locating missing woman Navdeep Kaur. 

$15 million to combat car thefts: Feds

$15 million to combat car thefts: Feds
The federal government is committing an additional $15 million over three years to fight the rise in vehicle thefts across the country. Minister of Public Safety Dominic LeBlanc made the announcement today in Montreal.

$15 million to combat car thefts: Feds

Man arrested for robbing blind, homeless man in Vancouver, police say

Man arrested for robbing blind, homeless man in Vancouver, police say
Police in Vancouver say a 37-year-old man has been charged over accusations he robbed a blind, homeless man of his cane earlier this week. They say the victim is a 40-year-old newcomer to Canada who is legally blind and has been sleeping in shelters for the past few weeks.

Man arrested for robbing blind, homeless man in Vancouver, police say

No cuts to people or services, but B.C. budget deficit to rise, finance minister says

No cuts to people or services, but B.C. budget deficit to rise, finance minister says
British Columbia Finance Minister Katrine Conroy says the budget she tables on Thursday will protect services and won't  raise taxes for ordinary residents, but she also forecasts an increased deficit because "it's the right thing to do."  The minister says the time is not right for the NDP government to bring cuts when most people are facing rising costs for housing, food and other daily staples.

No cuts to people or services, but B.C. budget deficit to rise, finance minister says

More humanitarian aid needed for Gaza, minister says during Egypt border visit

More humanitarian aid needed for Gaza, minister says during Egypt border visit
The flow of humanitarian aid shipments for Palestinians in Gaza is at its lowest ebb since the start of the Israel-Hamas war, Canada's international development minister said following a visit to the Egyptian border.  

More humanitarian aid needed for Gaza, minister says during Egypt border visit