Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal, Ontario governments contributing $3B to small nuclear reactor project

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 23 Oct, 2025 10:11 AM
  • Federal, Ontario governments contributing $3B to small nuclear reactor project

The federal and Ontario governments are putting a total of $3 billion toward a project to build four small nuclear reactors in the Greater Toronto Area.

Prime Minister Mark Carney has added the Darlington New Nuclear Project to his list of projects deemed to be in the national interest and therefore worthy of fast tracking.

He and Premier Doug Ford were at the site east of Toronto on Thursday to announce that their governments are contributing $2 billion and $1 billion, respectively, from the Canada Growth Fund and the Building Ontario Fund.

Carney said it will make Canada the first country in the G7 to have this new kind of nuclear reactor.

"(It is) a generational investment, an investment that will extend Canada's world leadership in clean energy," he said. "We are an energy superpower, and we are only getting stronger."

Ontario Power Generation has said the entire project should cost about $21 billion.

The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission granted OPG a licence to construct the first of the four SMRs earlier this year and construction began in the spring. It is expected to come online in 2030.

Once all four SMRs are up and running, they will produce 1,200 megawatts of electricity, enough to power 1.2 million homes. They are expected to operate for 65 years and the province predicts the project will create 18,000 jobs, including 3,700 highly skilled jobs.

Ford stressed that 80 per cent of the spending on the entire project will go to Ontario companies.

"We're using Ontario products at every opportunity so that Ontario tax dollars support Ontario workers," he said.

"That includes using steel made here in the province, by Ontario steelworkers, to build the new SMRs. With tariffs and economic uncertainty hammering Ontario's workers and businesses, this is exactly the sort of investment our province needs."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Cole Burston

MORE National ARTICLES

One driver dead at scene of multi-vehicle crash on Metro Vancouver bridge

One driver dead at scene of multi-vehicle crash on Metro Vancouver bridge
The Surrey Police Service says one driver is dead and others have been injured in a multi-vehicle collision on the Patullo Bridge, a key route in Metro Vancouver. Police say the crash around 8:30 a.m. Sunday involved five vehicles, including a bus on the east end of the bridge.

One driver dead at scene of multi-vehicle crash on Metro Vancouver bridge

Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years

Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years
The federal government says it's kicking in more than $663 million in funding for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over the next decade, beginning next year.  Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says in a statement the funding is coming from the federal government's Canada Public Transit Fund, which was announced in 2024. 

Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years

Chrystia Freeland pitches tariff response plan that would target U.S. businesses

Chrystia Freeland pitches tariff response plan that would target U.S. businesses
Liberal leadership candidate Chrystia Freeland said Monday that Canada can avoid massive U.S. tariffs on Canadian goods by scaring the Americans away from the idea. In a media statement, the former finance minister called on the federal government to release a list of $200 billion in retaliatory tariffs to prepare for U.S. President Donald Trump to make good on his threat to impose 25 per cent tariffs on Canadian imports.

Chrystia Freeland pitches tariff response plan that would target U.S. businesses

Student seriously injured in school bus rollover on Alberta highway: RCMP

Student seriously injured in school bus rollover on Alberta highway: RCMP
Mounties say a child is in hospital after a school bus flipped on a highway east of Edmonton. Officers were dispatched to the crash on Highway 16 near Vegreville after the lunch hour.

Student seriously injured in school bus rollover on Alberta highway: RCMP

Two people in hospital after accidental chlorine gas leak in downtown Saskatoon

Two people in hospital after accidental chlorine gas leak in downtown Saskatoon
Two people are in hospital after the accidental release of chlorine gas in downtown Saskatoon. Fire crews were called to the scene at Spadina Crescent and 21st Street East, where a Delta hotel is, around noon on Friday after a reported "hazmat incident."

Two people in hospital after accidental chlorine gas leak in downtown Saskatoon

B.C. chief wants Oscar-nominated residential school film to be part of curriculum

B.C. chief wants Oscar-nominated residential school film to be part of curriculum
The film "Sugarcane," directed by Secwépemc artist Julian Brave NoiseCat from Williams Lake in the B.C. Interior, and Toronto journalist Emily Kassie, received an Academy Award nomination this week for best documentary feature.

B.C. chief wants Oscar-nominated residential school film to be part of curriculum