Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal, Ontario governments contributing $3B to small nuclear reactor project

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 23 Oct, 2025 10:11 AM
  • Federal, Ontario governments contributing $3B to small nuclear reactor project

The federal and Ontario governments are putting a total of $3 billion toward a project to build four small nuclear reactors in the Greater Toronto Area.

Prime Minister Mark Carney has added the Darlington New Nuclear Project to his list of projects deemed to be in the national interest and therefore worthy of fast tracking.

He and Premier Doug Ford were at the site east of Toronto on Thursday to announce that their governments are contributing $2 billion and $1 billion, respectively, from the Canada Growth Fund and the Building Ontario Fund.

Carney said it will make Canada the first country in the G7 to have this new kind of nuclear reactor.

"(It is) a generational investment, an investment that will extend Canada's world leadership in clean energy," he said. "We are an energy superpower, and we are only getting stronger."

Ontario Power Generation has said the entire project should cost about $21 billion.

The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission granted OPG a licence to construct the first of the four SMRs earlier this year and construction began in the spring. It is expected to come online in 2030.

Once all four SMRs are up and running, they will produce 1,200 megawatts of electricity, enough to power 1.2 million homes. They are expected to operate for 65 years and the province predicts the project will create 18,000 jobs, including 3,700 highly skilled jobs.

Ford stressed that 80 per cent of the spending on the entire project will go to Ontario companies.

"We're using Ontario products at every opportunity so that Ontario tax dollars support Ontario workers," he said.

"That includes using steel made here in the province, by Ontario steelworkers, to build the new SMRs. With tariffs and economic uncertainty hammering Ontario's workers and businesses, this is exactly the sort of investment our province needs."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Cole Burston

MORE National ARTICLES

TSB investigators deployed after boat crash and sinking near Squamish

TSB investigators deployed after boat crash and sinking near Squamish
The Transportation Safety Board of Canada says it has deployed a team of investigators after a collision and sinking of a workboat near Squamish, B.C., last month. It says the incident happened on Dec. 18. 

TSB investigators deployed after boat crash and sinking near Squamish

Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside

Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside
Critics are denouncing Vancouver Mayor Ken Sim's plan for revitalizing the Downtown Eastside neighbourhood, with former councillor Jean Swanson saying his proposal to pause supportive housing construction is "Trumpian."

Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside

B.C. climate activist couple to live in Pakistan if deportation proceeds

B.C. climate activist couple to live in Pakistan if deportation proceeds
British Columbia climate activist Zain Haq and his wife Sophia Papp are planning to live together in Pakistan if his threatened deportation proceeds on Saturday, and blame his imminent expulsion on bureaucratic failings by immigration officials. Haq, a Pakistani citizen who co-founded activist group Save Old Growth as an international student, was granted a temporary resident permit last April, pausing deportation to allow his spousal application for permanent residency to be processed.

B.C. climate activist couple to live in Pakistan if deportation proceeds

Canada Post gets $1-billion loan from federal government amid financial struggles

Canada Post gets $1-billion loan from federal government amid financial struggles
The federal government is providing a $1-billion loan to Canada Post to help the Crown corporation continue operating amid "significant financial challenges." Canada Post says it was notified it will receive the $1.034 billion in repayable funding through the 2025-26 fiscal year.

Canada Post gets $1-billion loan from federal government amid financial struggles

Bill Blair says Canada could hit NATO target in 2 years, but doesn't commit

Bill Blair says Canada could hit NATO target in 2 years, but doesn't commit
Defence Minister Bill Blair says Canada could hit its NATO defence spending target within just a few years if need be but didn't commit to doing so. NATO members have all committed to spend the equivalent of two per cent of its GDP on defence but Canada has consistently failed to reach that target.

Bill Blair says Canada could hit NATO target in 2 years, but doesn't commit

'You better pray we get elected': Doug Ford says he will call snap Ontario election

'You better pray we get elected': Doug Ford says he will call snap Ontario election
Ontario Premier Doug Ford plans to call a snap election Wednesday, seeking an even larger majority than his current government holds and using the threat of 25 per cent tariffs from U.S. President Donald Trump as a justification. That election call would send Ontarians to the polls on Feb. 27, more than a year before the June 2026 fixed election date.

'You better pray we get elected': Doug Ford says he will call snap Ontario election