Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal, Ontario governments contributing $3B to small nuclear reactor project

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 23 Oct, 2025 10:11 AM
  • Federal, Ontario governments contributing $3B to small nuclear reactor project

The federal and Ontario governments are putting a total of $3 billion toward a project to build four small nuclear reactors in the Greater Toronto Area.

Prime Minister Mark Carney has added the Darlington New Nuclear Project to his list of projects deemed to be in the national interest and therefore worthy of fast tracking.

He and Premier Doug Ford were at the site east of Toronto on Thursday to announce that their governments are contributing $2 billion and $1 billion, respectively, from the Canada Growth Fund and the Building Ontario Fund.

Carney said it will make Canada the first country in the G7 to have this new kind of nuclear reactor.

"(It is) a generational investment, an investment that will extend Canada's world leadership in clean energy," he said. "We are an energy superpower, and we are only getting stronger."

Ontario Power Generation has said the entire project should cost about $21 billion.

The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission granted OPG a licence to construct the first of the four SMRs earlier this year and construction began in the spring. It is expected to come online in 2030.

Once all four SMRs are up and running, they will produce 1,200 megawatts of electricity, enough to power 1.2 million homes. They are expected to operate for 65 years and the province predicts the project will create 18,000 jobs, including 3,700 highly skilled jobs.

Ford stressed that 80 per cent of the spending on the entire project will go to Ontario companies.

"We're using Ontario products at every opportunity so that Ontario tax dollars support Ontario workers," he said.

"That includes using steel made here in the province, by Ontario steelworkers, to build the new SMRs. With tariffs and economic uncertainty hammering Ontario's workers and businesses, this is exactly the sort of investment our province needs."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Cole Burston

MORE National ARTICLES

Crash closes Mission Bridge

Crash closes Mission Bridge
Police in Abbotsford say a 32-year-old man has been arrested after causing a head-on collision with another vehicle on Mission Bridge this morning. They say that around 12:30 a.m., an officer tried to stop the driver of a Mustang for a road violation, but he did not stop and fled the scene onto Highway 11, where he crashed into the other vehicle.

Crash closes Mission Bridge

Meet Poppy, an oil spill-sniffing dog and a scientific trailblazer

Meet Poppy, an oil spill-sniffing dog and a scientific trailblazer
Poppy, a six-year-old springer spaniel with floppy brown ears and a tail that never seems to stop wagging, is by all accounts a very good dog. Her white, brown speckled nose has also made her something of a trailblazer. 

Meet Poppy, an oil spill-sniffing dog and a scientific trailblazer

BC man arrested for hate crime

BC man arrested for hate crime
A Kelowna man has been arrested in Ontario in relation to a hate crime investigation in B-C. Police say the 41-year-old man is facing charges including public incitement of hatred and advocating or promoting genocide.

BC man arrested for hate crime

Quebec man sentenced to 30 years in U.S. prison for selling fake Xanax on dark web

Quebec man sentenced to 30 years in U.S. prison for selling fake Xanax on dark web
A Quebec man has been sentenced to 30 years in United States federal prison for his role in an international drug ring that imported millions of fake Xanax pills into that country. The U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration says Arden McCann, 37, has been sentenced by a judge in Georgia for being "one of the largest drug vendors" on the dark web — a hidden part of the internet accessible through specialized software.

Quebec man sentenced to 30 years in U.S. prison for selling fake Xanax on dark web

Former chief trade negotiator says Alberta undermining Canada in U.S. tariff talks

Former chief trade negotiator says Alberta undermining Canada in U.S. tariff talks
Ottawa's former chief trade negotiator Steve Verheul says Alberta is undermining Canada's attempts to prevent the U.S. from levying damaging tariffs. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has rallied most of the premiers to agree that all sectors of the Canadian economy could be deployed to fight back against U.S. President Donald Trump's plan to impose 25 per cent tariffs on all imports from Canada.

Former chief trade negotiator says Alberta undermining Canada in U.S. tariff talks

42-year-old woman killed, son arrested in Montreal's first homicide of the year

42-year-old woman killed, son arrested in Montreal's first homicide of the year
A 42-year-old woman is dead and her 21-year-old son has been arrested in what Montreal police say is the city's first murder of the year. Police spokesperson Mariane Allaire Morin says a 911 call came in Thursday morning for a welfare check at a home in the LaSalle borough, west of downtown Montreal. 

42-year-old woman killed, son arrested in Montreal's first homicide of the year