Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal, Ontario governments contributing $3B to small nuclear reactor project

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 23 Oct, 2025 10:11 AM
  • Federal, Ontario governments contributing $3B to small nuclear reactor project

The federal and Ontario governments are putting a total of $3 billion toward a project to build four small nuclear reactors in the Greater Toronto Area.

Prime Minister Mark Carney has added the Darlington New Nuclear Project to his list of projects deemed to be in the national interest and therefore worthy of fast tracking.

He and Premier Doug Ford were at the site east of Toronto on Thursday to announce that their governments are contributing $2 billion and $1 billion, respectively, from the Canada Growth Fund and the Building Ontario Fund.

Carney said it will make Canada the first country in the G7 to have this new kind of nuclear reactor.

"(It is) a generational investment, an investment that will extend Canada's world leadership in clean energy," he said. "We are an energy superpower, and we are only getting stronger."

Ontario Power Generation has said the entire project should cost about $21 billion.

The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission granted OPG a licence to construct the first of the four SMRs earlier this year and construction began in the spring. It is expected to come online in 2030.

Once all four SMRs are up and running, they will produce 1,200 megawatts of electricity, enough to power 1.2 million homes. They are expected to operate for 65 years and the province predicts the project will create 18,000 jobs, including 3,700 highly skilled jobs.

Ford stressed that 80 per cent of the spending on the entire project will go to Ontario companies.

"We're using Ontario products at every opportunity so that Ontario tax dollars support Ontario workers," he said.

"That includes using steel made here in the province, by Ontario steelworkers, to build the new SMRs. With tariffs and economic uncertainty hammering Ontario's workers and businesses, this is exactly the sort of investment our province needs."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Cole Burston

MORE National ARTICLES

Trump calls on OPEC to bring down cost of oil at World Economic Forum

Trump calls on OPEC to bring down cost of oil at World Economic Forum
U.S. President Donald Trump told an elite global audience today that he is going to ask the OPEC+ alliance of oil exporting countries to bring down the cost of oil. He made the comments in a wide-ranging address to the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland.

Trump calls on OPEC to bring down cost of oil at World Economic Forum

Payments to shortchanged caregivers of kids with disabilities satisfy B.C. watchdog

Payments to shortchanged caregivers of kids with disabilities satisfy B.C. watchdog
British Columbia's ombudsperson says he's satisfied the provincial government has fixed a problem that shortchanged caregivers of children with disabilities to the tune of more than $1 million in federal funding.

Payments to shortchanged caregivers of kids with disabilities satisfy B.C. watchdog

2 recreational vehicles destroyed in fire

2 recreational vehicles destroyed in fire
Mounties in Hope say two recreational vehicles were destroyed in a fire that also damaged two others last night. They say officers, firefighters and paramedics responded to the fire in the area of the American Creek Forest Service Road.

2 recreational vehicles destroyed in fire

Snowfall warning for parts of BC's northeast

Snowfall warning for parts of BC's northeast
Environment Canada has issued a snowfall warning for parts of B-C's northeast. The weather office says Highway 97 in the Pine Pass area is expected to see up to 15 centimetres of snow accumulation today.

Snowfall warning for parts of BC's northeast

Who's in and who's out of the Liberal leadership race

Who's in and who's out of the Liberal leadership race
The federal Liberals are running their first leadership race in more than a decade to replace the departing Justin Trudeau. Candidates must declare today by 5 p.m. ET with a $50,000 deposit towards a $350,000 fee to be in the race. The winner will be named on March 9. Here's a quick look at who's in and who's out.

Who's in and who's out of the Liberal leadership race

Karina Gould submits paperwork to enter Liberal leadership race on deadline day

Karina Gould submits paperwork to enter Liberal leadership race on deadline day
Liberal leadership contender Karina Gould submitted her official paperwork to enter the race to replace Justin Trudeau today. Gould said outside party headquarters in Ottawa that her party lost touch with Canadians at the end of the pandemic and needs to get better at listening.

Karina Gould submits paperwork to enter Liberal leadership race on deadline day