Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal prediction says parts of Canada could see wildfires through winter

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 Sep, 2023 10:51 AM
  • Federal prediction says parts of Canada could see wildfires through winter

The latest federal government forecast says Canada's already unprecedented 2023 wildfire season could continue late into the fall or winter.

Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says there is potential for increased wildland fire activity from eastern Alberta through to central Ontario at least until the end of this month, while fires in B.C. and the Northwest Territories will continue to smoulder.

Although fall brings cooler nights and fewer lightning storms, a government statement says ongoing warm and dry weather could contribute to new fire starts, and mean some existing large fires could remain active for months.

Wilkinson also announced $65 million in federal funding for wildfire equipment and other supports for British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Nova Scotia, Yukon and Northwest Territories.

He says B.C. and the Northwest Territories have signed deals to receive their full allotments under Ottawa's wildfire and equipment fund, amounting to $28.5 million for the territory and $32 million for B.C.

The statement says the Fighting and Managing Wildfires in a Changing Climate fund will provide $256 million to provinces and territories through to 2027.

The six newly announced agreements are the first under the program, with Wilkinson saying the cash will be used for life-saving equipment and important contracting.

"This means more resources and more boots on the ground in our fight against these intense and dangerous wildfires," Wilkinson says in the statement.

The Natural Resources Canada fund allows provinces and territories to cost-share investments for equipment, such as vehicles, mobile units, avionics parts and upgrades, hoses, pumps, enhanced communications equipment, the repair of aging equipment and training, the government statement says.

MORE National ARTICLES

Emergency department reopens after man shot dead by police in B.C. hospital

Emergency department reopens after man shot dead by police in B.C. hospital
The Fraser Health authority says the emergency department at a Hope, B.C., hospital that was temporarily closed after a fatal police shooting has reopened. Police say the man received immediate medical attention but was pronounced dead at the scene.  

Emergency department reopens after man shot dead by police in B.C. hospital

U.S. Coast Guard says 'presumed human remains' found in Titan wreckage

U.S. Coast Guard says 'presumed human remains' found in Titan wreckage
Earlier in the day, debris from the ill-fated submersible was returned to shore in Newfoundland aboard a Canadian-flagged ship that had helped search for the vessel in a remote area of ocean near the wreck of the Titanic.

U.S. Coast Guard says 'presumed human remains' found in Titan wreckage

Mounties in Nanaimo, B.C., probe theft of German shepherd puppies

Mounties in Nanaimo, B.C., probe theft of German shepherd puppies
Police say the theft occurred around 3 a.m. Monday morning. Since then, five of the eight-week-old puppies have been recovered, but police say the rest are still missing. 

Mounties in Nanaimo, B.C., probe theft of German shepherd puppies

Rental protection for BC residents

Rental protection for BC residents
The British Columbia government says its 500-million-dollar rental-protection fund will help renters stay in their homes and keep their rents affordable. The province has opened access to the fund that will help non-profit groups purchase rental buildings.

Rental protection for BC residents

Dental care to cost $3B less than budgeted unless provinces drop coverage, PBO says

Dental care to cost $3B less than budgeted unless provinces drop coverage, PBO says
The Liberals promised a stand-alone dental insurance plan for low- and middle-income Canadians who don't have private insurance as part of its supply and confidence deal with the NDP last year.

Dental care to cost $3B less than budgeted unless provinces drop coverage, PBO says

Canada removes limit on study programmes' length for work permit holders

Canada removes limit on study programmes' length for work permit holders
The Canadian government on Tuesday introduced a public policy that will be beneficial for immigrants, including those from India, to boost their career, job prospects, and chances of permanent residency.

Canada removes limit on study programmes' length for work permit holders