Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal prediction says parts of Canada could see wildfires through winter

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 Sep, 2023 10:51 AM
  • Federal prediction says parts of Canada could see wildfires through winter

The latest federal government forecast says Canada's already unprecedented 2023 wildfire season could continue late into the fall or winter.

Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says there is potential for increased wildland fire activity from eastern Alberta through to central Ontario at least until the end of this month, while fires in B.C. and the Northwest Territories will continue to smoulder.

Although fall brings cooler nights and fewer lightning storms, a government statement says ongoing warm and dry weather could contribute to new fire starts, and mean some existing large fires could remain active for months.

Wilkinson also announced $65 million in federal funding for wildfire equipment and other supports for British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Nova Scotia, Yukon and Northwest Territories.

He says B.C. and the Northwest Territories have signed deals to receive their full allotments under Ottawa's wildfire and equipment fund, amounting to $28.5 million for the territory and $32 million for B.C.

The statement says the Fighting and Managing Wildfires in a Changing Climate fund will provide $256 million to provinces and territories through to 2027.

The six newly announced agreements are the first under the program, with Wilkinson saying the cash will be used for life-saving equipment and important contracting.

"This means more resources and more boots on the ground in our fight against these intense and dangerous wildfires," Wilkinson says in the statement.

The Natural Resources Canada fund allows provinces and territories to cost-share investments for equipment, such as vehicles, mobile units, avionics parts and upgrades, hoses, pumps, enhanced communications equipment, the repair of aging equipment and training, the government statement says.

MORE National ARTICLES

Man beaten in Kamloops' downtown

Man beaten in Kamloops' downtown
R-C-M-P in Kamloops are looking to speak with witnesses after a man was reportedly beaten while sleeping outside in the city's downtown. The Mounties say it happened yesterday morning at around 9 a-m at the intersection of 5th Avenue and Seymour Street.

Man beaten in Kamloops' downtown

B.C. to provide up to 8,000 free air conditioners to low-income, vulnerable people

B.C. to provide up to 8,000 free air conditioners to low-income, vulnerable people
Health Minister Adrian Dix said Tuesday that the funding to BC Hydro will provide up to 8,000 air-conditioning units over the next three years, but if demand increases, that number could also go up.  Dix said people can apply for the units on their own or health officials working with elderly people will be able to help them get a unit. 

B.C. to provide up to 8,000 free air conditioners to low-income, vulnerable people

3 dead in South Surrey collision

3 dead in South Surrey collision
On Sunday at approximately 2:45 am, Surrey RCMP responded to a report of a two-vehicle collision in the 3300-block of 176 Street. On Monday afternoon, the third occupant of the Hyundai, who was previously in critical condition died of their injuries. 

3 dead in South Surrey collision

Ottawa widens pathways for attracting tech talent

Ottawa widens pathways for attracting tech talent
Immigration Minister Sean Fraser revealed the Tech Talent Strategy, which includes a new, dedicated pathway for permanent residents targeting employees and workers in the science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) sectors.

Ottawa widens pathways for attracting tech talent

Wildfire above Highway 99 in West Vancouver now 'held' after route closed Monday

Wildfire above Highway 99 in West Vancouver now 'held' after route closed Monday
An aerial attack by the wildfire service and efforts on the ground by West Vancouver Fire and Rescue helped confine the blaze to about one hectare. It is now officially termed as "being held," with further spread is unlikely.

Wildfire above Highway 99 in West Vancouver now 'held' after route closed Monday

Man hurt in home invasion dies: Prince George RCMP

Man hurt in home invasion dies: Prince George RCMP
R-C-M-P in Prince George said the man suffered life-threatening injuries during the home invasion on June 19th and a woman who was with him was also severely hurt but is expected to survive.

Man hurt in home invasion dies: Prince George RCMP