Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal prediction says parts of Canada could see wildfires through winter

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 Sep, 2023 10:51 AM
  • Federal prediction says parts of Canada could see wildfires through winter

The latest federal government forecast says Canada's already unprecedented 2023 wildfire season could continue late into the fall or winter.

Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says there is potential for increased wildland fire activity from eastern Alberta through to central Ontario at least until the end of this month, while fires in B.C. and the Northwest Territories will continue to smoulder.

Although fall brings cooler nights and fewer lightning storms, a government statement says ongoing warm and dry weather could contribute to new fire starts, and mean some existing large fires could remain active for months.

Wilkinson also announced $65 million in federal funding for wildfire equipment and other supports for British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Nova Scotia, Yukon and Northwest Territories.

He says B.C. and the Northwest Territories have signed deals to receive their full allotments under Ottawa's wildfire and equipment fund, amounting to $28.5 million for the territory and $32 million for B.C.

The statement says the Fighting and Managing Wildfires in a Changing Climate fund will provide $256 million to provinces and territories through to 2027.

The six newly announced agreements are the first under the program, with Wilkinson saying the cash will be used for life-saving equipment and important contracting.

"This means more resources and more boots on the ground in our fight against these intense and dangerous wildfires," Wilkinson says in the statement.

The Natural Resources Canada fund allows provinces and territories to cost-share investments for equipment, such as vehicles, mobile units, avionics parts and upgrades, hoses, pumps, enhanced communications equipment, the repair of aging equipment and training, the government statement says.

MORE National ARTICLES

David Eby resists early vote in B.C. despite big byelection wins for NDP

David Eby resists early vote in B.C. despite big byelection wins for NDP
Eby says although his party's candidates did "exceptionally well" on Saturday in the ridings of Vancouver-Mount Pleasant and Langford-Juan de Fuca on Vancouver Island, he'll stick with the fixed election date in October 2024.

David Eby resists early vote in B.C. despite big byelection wins for NDP

B.C. moved ahead with ending letter grades despite parent, teacher, student concerns

B.C. moved ahead with ending letter grades despite parent, teacher, student concerns
Education Minister Rachna Singh said last week that about half of all public school districts have already tested and adopted the new reporting style during a modernization of curriculum that started in 2016, while the rest would implement the change this September.

B.C. moved ahead with ending letter grades despite parent, teacher, student concerns

Province announces 100K in mental health for South Asians

Province announces 100K in mental health for South Asians
The funding will support three part-time outreach workers and others who will engage South Asians who are homeless or at risk of being homeless. The supports are expected to help between 50 and 75 people who use drugs as well as 150 to 200 family members.  

Province announces 100K in mental health for South Asians

Thousands mourn Sikh leader's funeral

Thousands mourn Sikh leader's funeral
Thousands of mourners from the Sikh community descended upon the Guru Nanak Sikh Gurdwara in Surrey on Sunday morning, to pay respects to the Gurdwara president, Hardeep Singh Nijjar. Nijjar was shot mutliple times a week ago in the parking lot of the Gurdwara and killed in his truck.

Thousands mourn Sikh leader's funeral

Advocates urge B.C. leaders to halt planned evictions at Abbotsford, B.C., tent camp

Advocates urge B.C. leaders to halt planned evictions at Abbotsford, B.C., tent camp
The BC Civil Liberties Association and Pivot Legal Society want Housing Minister Ravi Kahlon to stop any evictions at the Lonzo Park encampment, located on provincially owned land originally intended as a park-and-ride in Abbotsford. The letter reminds Kahlon that several B.C. Supreme Court rulings have found forcible eviction is illegal when other housing options are inadequate.  

Advocates urge B.C. leaders to halt planned evictions at Abbotsford, B.C., tent camp

Man in hospital with serious injuries, IIO called in

Man in hospital with serious injuries, IIO called in
A man is in hospital with serious injuries and B-C's independent police watchdog -- the Independent Investigations Office -- has been called to the scene. The I-I-O says police say they were called to a report of a potentially impaired driver on Highway 1 through West Vancouver and told investigators there was an exchange of gunfire as they arrived.

Man in hospital with serious injuries, IIO called in