Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal prediction says parts of Canada could see wildfires through winter

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 Sep, 2023 10:51 AM
  • Federal prediction says parts of Canada could see wildfires through winter

The latest federal government forecast says Canada's already unprecedented 2023 wildfire season could continue late into the fall or winter.

Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says there is potential for increased wildland fire activity from eastern Alberta through to central Ontario at least until the end of this month, while fires in B.C. and the Northwest Territories will continue to smoulder.

Although fall brings cooler nights and fewer lightning storms, a government statement says ongoing warm and dry weather could contribute to new fire starts, and mean some existing large fires could remain active for months.

Wilkinson also announced $65 million in federal funding for wildfire equipment and other supports for British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Nova Scotia, Yukon and Northwest Territories.

He says B.C. and the Northwest Territories have signed deals to receive their full allotments under Ottawa's wildfire and equipment fund, amounting to $28.5 million for the territory and $32 million for B.C.

The statement says the Fighting and Managing Wildfires in a Changing Climate fund will provide $256 million to provinces and territories through to 2027.

The six newly announced agreements are the first under the program, with Wilkinson saying the cash will be used for life-saving equipment and important contracting.

"This means more resources and more boots on the ground in our fight against these intense and dangerous wildfires," Wilkinson says in the statement.

The Natural Resources Canada fund allows provinces and territories to cost-share investments for equipment, such as vehicles, mobile units, avionics parts and upgrades, hoses, pumps, enhanced communications equipment, the repair of aging equipment and training, the government statement says.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. agrees to delay ending immigration detention in correctional centres

B.C. agrees to delay ending immigration detention in correctional centres
Farnworth has now approved a "one-time" three-month extension of the deal until the end of October at the request of federal Public Safety Minister Marco Mendicino, on the condition that no new detainees will be accepted after July 31. 

B.C. agrees to delay ending immigration detention in correctional centres

Armed robbery in New Westminster

Armed robbery in New Westminster
Police flooded the area and soon located someone matching the suspect description at 6th Avenue and 8th Street. The suspect fled from police and after a foot pursuit, he was arrested. An officer was transported to local hospital after sustaining an injury during the foot pursuit.

Armed robbery in New Westminster

Canada bans testing of cosmetics on animals, in line with dozens of other countries

Canada bans testing of cosmetics on animals, in line with dozens of other countries
In addition to barring companies from testing their cosmetic products on animals in Canada, the regulations prevent new products that rely on animal testing data to establish product safety from being sold in this country.

Canada bans testing of cosmetics on animals, in line with dozens of other countries

Charges laid against 3 in robbery

Charges laid against 3 in robbery
On December 23rd of last year,  Surrey RCMP received a report of a personal robbery on a post-secondary school campus located in the 13400-block of 102 Avenue. Prior to police arrival it was reported that three suspects had fled with the victim’s phone and backpack.

Charges laid against 3 in robbery

Rodriguez says newsrooms will be supported should Meta, Google block news

Rodriguez says newsrooms will be supported should Meta, Google block news
The Liberal government's Online News Act became law last week, requiring tech companies such as Google and Meta to negotiate deals compensating media outlets for news content they share or otherwise repurpose on their platforms.

Rodriguez says newsrooms will be supported should Meta, Google block news

Expanded restrictions in Vancouver to stop spread of damaging Japanese beetle

Expanded restrictions in Vancouver to stop spread of damaging Japanese beetle
The invasive pest was first detected in Vancouver's False Creek area in 2017. The iridescent copper and green coloured beetle can significantly damage landscape and ornamental plants, fruit and vegetable gardens, nurseries, orchards and crops.

Expanded restrictions in Vancouver to stop spread of damaging Japanese beetle