Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

The first 2 Canadian-operated evacuation planes left the capital of Sudan today

The first 2 Canadian-operated evacuation planes left the capital of Sudan today
Global Affairs Canada says more than 100 Canadians still in Sudan have asked for the government's help to get out. Vice-Admiral Bob Auchterlonie, commander of the Canadian Joint Operations Command, says the military will continue evacuations as long as they can.

The first 2 Canadian-operated evacuation planes left the capital of Sudan today

Police issue warning after B.C. senior loses $7.5 million in cryptocurrency scam

Police issue warning after B.C. senior loses $7.5 million in cryptocurrency scam
Police say the app she was using was a fake made to look legitimate and when she realized she couldn't withdraw money, the fraudster disappeared. Police say the victim was then contacted by someone else who said he could help get her money back and threatened her until she sent more in what turned out to be a second scam.

Police issue warning after B.C. senior loses $7.5 million in cryptocurrency scam

Not able to support policing decision due to lack of data: Kevin Falcon

Not able to support policing decision due to lack of data: Kevin Falcon
Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth is set to announce tomorrow whether the R-C-M-P or a municipal police service will be responsible for policing the city. Mayor Brenda Locke says the transition back to R-C-M-P will be less expensive than changing the police service.

Not able to support policing decision due to lack of data: Kevin Falcon

Police involved shooting in Prince George

Police involved shooting in Prince George
It happened last night as police responded to a call about a man attacking others at a home on Oak Street. Shots were reportedly fired after officers arrived and tried to take a man into custody.  

Police involved shooting in Prince George

Attempted armed robbery at Chilliwack bank

Attempted armed robbery at Chilliwack bank
The RCMP says officers, including the integrated emergency response team, air support and police dogs, were called to the bank just after noon on Thursday. Police issued a statement asking the public to stay away from the area.  

Attempted armed robbery at Chilliwack bank

Minister didn't authorize fake travel docs for Afghans, says he didn't check email

Minister didn't authorize fake travel docs for Afghans, says he didn't check email
Sajjan was defence minister at the time and McPhedran said she copied him and several other ministers on many emails about her activities. Sajjan told the committee he was so busy at the time he didn't have time to check his inbox.   

Minister didn't authorize fake travel docs for Afghans, says he didn't check email