Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Surrey RCMP investigating early Tuesday morning arson

Surrey RCMP investigating early Tuesday morning arson
The motive of the arson has not been determined and police are actively working to identify the suspect. Video surveillance shows a person lighting what appears to be a mattress on fire prior to walking away. 

Surrey RCMP investigating early Tuesday morning arson

Telus Health, Medical Services Commission reach settlement over fee program: minister

Telus Health, Medical Services Commission reach settlement over fee program: minister
Telus Health spokeswoman Juggy Sihota says in a statement the agreement will see Telus Health modify LifePlus to establish a clearer link between insured and uninsured care delivery.  

Telus Health, Medical Services Commission reach settlement over fee program: minister

BOC confident inflation will drop by mid year

BOC confident inflation will drop by mid year
In its summary of deliberations, the central bank says it considered raising interest rates from the current 4.5 per cent. The Bank of Canada appears confident that inflation will fall to three per cent by mid-year.   

BOC confident inflation will drop by mid year

Charges laid in Fort St.James homicide

Charges laid in Fort St.James homicide
Police were called to a home in Fort St. James on February 25th last year. Thirty-six year old John Lazare was found dead from a gunshot wound and investigators said at the time that the attack was targeted and there was no risk to the public.

Charges laid in Fort St.James homicide

PNE reveals plans for new amphitheatre

PNE reveals plans for new amphitheatre
It's expected construction will begin next year -- with completion set for 2026 -- and Frost says the theatre, which she describes as a "jewel among Vancouver's spectacular venues," will host a wide variety of music and culture events.   

PNE reveals plans for new amphitheatre

Vancouver's passport office behind picket lines due to federal strike

Vancouver's passport office behind picket lines due to federal strike
More than 100-thousand federal employees have been on strike since last Wednesday, demanding improved wages, benefits and more opportunties to work from home. Treasury Board officials and the union continue to meet but a statement from the union says there has been no progress on key issues.

Vancouver's passport office behind picket lines due to federal strike