Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

One person dead in Hwy 1 Fraser Valley crash

One person dead in Hwy 1 Fraser Valley crash
Highway 1 through the Fraser Valley has reopened after one person died in a crash involving several commercial vehicles. Police say it happened yesterday afternoon in the eastbound lanes just west of Hope.

One person dead in Hwy 1 Fraser Valley crash

Taljinder Khangura of Surrey wins $500,000 in Lotto 6/49 draw

Taljinder Khangura of Surrey wins $500,000 in Lotto 6/49 draw
“Everyone was so happy!” The Surrey resident purchased and validated the winning ticket at the lottery kiosk at Scottsdale Centre in Delta. Khangura plans to bring her family to Mexico for a vacation. 

Taljinder Khangura of Surrey wins $500,000 in Lotto 6/49 draw

Germany president's visit creates rare opportunity for business: Greater Vancouver Board of Trade CEO

Germany president's visit creates rare opportunity for business: Greater Vancouver Board of Trade CEO
Bridgitte Anderson hosted a roundtable discussion Tuesday headlined by German President Frank-Walter Steinmeier. The discussion included about 20 delegates from both Germany and Canada.

Germany president's visit creates rare opportunity for business: Greater Vancouver Board of Trade CEO

Bains appointment to Rogers prompts House committee to invite lobbying commissioner

Bains appointment to Rogers prompts House committee to invite lobbying commissioner
Former Liberal MP Navdeep Bains was the minister of industry for more than five years until he left government for the private sector in 2021. He was among several new appointments made to Rogers executive leadership team last week after Bains cleared his new job with both the lobbying and ethics commissioners in Ottawa.

Bains appointment to Rogers prompts House committee to invite lobbying commissioner

More Canadians ask for help to get out of Sudan: Joly

More Canadians ask for help to get out of Sudan: Joly
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said earlier this week Canada had a C-17 military plane in the region to help airlift Canadians out but so far has relied on other countries to find space on their planes or boats. On Tuesday Joly told Parliament 1,700 people had registered and 550 had asked for help.  

More Canadians ask for help to get out of Sudan: Joly

Union says government not budging on bargaining position or public service wage offer

Union says government not budging on bargaining position or public service wage offer
Treasury Board President Mona Fortier says in a written statement today that she wants to make an agreement quickly, but the government won't sign an agreement that Canadians can't afford. The parties remain at the negotiating table while the strike continues.

Union says government not budging on bargaining position or public service wage offer