Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

BC Ferries waives reservation fee for those who to take ferry due to medical reasons

BC Ferries waives reservation fee for those who to take ferry due to medical reasons
Passengers must be eligible for the provincial Travel Assistance Program -- have the correct form from their health care provider and obtain a program confirmation number from Health Insurance B-C.

BC Ferries waives reservation fee for those who to take ferry due to medical reasons

Injection of cash for repairs to Science World dome

Injection of cash for repairs to Science World dome
Premier David Eby says the domed roof of Vancouver's Science World building is leaking, which prevents the popular tourist destination from using the movie theatre. Eby says the $20 million for Science World will focus on the roof, but that will also include electrical updates to improve energy efficiency.  

Injection of cash for repairs to Science World dome

Striking public servants block access to government buildings and key infrastructure

Striking public servants block access to government buildings and key infrastructure
More than 150,000 federal public servants with the Public Service Alliance of Canada were on strike for the seventh straight day as their union representatives continued to negotiate with the government for a bigger wage increase and more flexibility to work remotely.

Striking public servants block access to government buildings and key infrastructure

Unidentified human remains found in Surrey

Unidentified human remains found in Surrey
They say investigators have not uncovered any links to other missing person's cases and have been unable to determine the identity of the body, which was found east of Cloverdale on February 23rd.  

Unidentified human remains found in Surrey

Structural problems force second evacuation of B.C. highrise in less than four years

Structural problems force second evacuation of B.C. highrise in less than four years
The City of Langford revoked the occupancy permit for the 11 storey, 90 unit, RidgeView Place on Monday after an independent engineer found structural safety issues and recommended evacuation.

Structural problems force second evacuation of B.C. highrise in less than four years

Burnaby employees win 7M in lotto

Burnaby employees win 7M in lotto
The group chose the lump sum over the other prize option of one-thousand-dollars a day for life. They say they plan to use the winnings to purchase new cars, plan dream vacations and complete home renovations, as well as host a lunch for the entire company.

Burnaby employees win 7M in lotto