Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Vancity CEO stepping down

Vancity CEO stepping down
B-C's Vancity credit union says Christine Bergeron is stepping down as president and C-E-O to take the top job at real estate company Concert Properties. The credit union says Bergeron will continue with Vancity until mid-July.

Vancity CEO stepping down

Arrest after man reportedly falls from second floor of a Kelowna apartment building

Arrest after man reportedly falls from second floor of a Kelowna apartment building
R-C-M-P say officers arrived at the building Saturday morning to find a man lying on the ground unconscious with severe injuries. The man was taken to a local hospital where he remains in critical condition.

Arrest after man reportedly falls from second floor of a Kelowna apartment building

Traffic blitz in Burnaby ends with 54 drivers getting warning letters

Traffic blitz in Burnaby ends with 54 drivers getting warning letters
Mounties and representatives with the B-C-A-A spent Monday morning watching drivers on westbound Lougheed Highway at Phillips Avenue. B-C drivers are required to slow down and move over for all vehicles stopped alongside the road that have flashing red, blue or yellow lights.

Traffic blitz in Burnaby ends with 54 drivers getting warning letters

City of Vancouver approves a plan to expand its alcohol in parks program

City of Vancouver approves a plan to expand its alcohol in parks program
As of June 1st, visitors to 31 city parks will be able to drink there year-round, while 16 parks will allow alcoholic beverage consumption from July 1st to August 31st each year.  Further, people visiting seven of Vancouver's beaches between June 1st and September 4th will be able to consume alcohol while there.

City of Vancouver approves a plan to expand its alcohol in parks program

Suspect arrested in relation to assault of 89-year-old woman at Metrotown

Suspect arrested in relation to assault of 89-year-old woman at Metrotown
Burnaby R-C-M-P say they've arrested a suspect after an 89-year-old woman was assaulted at the Metrotown mall. Mounties say it happened on April 20th when the victim was shoved to the ground by an unknown man.

Suspect arrested in relation to assault of 89-year-old woman at Metrotown

Beware of cryptocurrency scam: Coquitlam RCMP

Beware of cryptocurrency scam: Coquitlam RCMP
R-C-M-P in Coquitlam are urging the public to use caution when asked to convert money into cryptocurrency. That person encouraged the victim to withdraw thousands of dollars from their bank account and convert it into cryptocurrency for transferring, in order to prevent further unauthorized transactions on their credit card.

Beware of cryptocurrency scam: Coquitlam RCMP