Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

CMHC is predicting home prices and sales will fall

CMHC is predicting home prices and sales will fall
Chief economist Bob Duggan says home ownership will be less affordable in the near-term because of higher mortgage rates and high price levels. He also expects rental affordability will likely decline as well.   

CMHC is predicting home prices and sales will fall

Hot spell hikes risks of flooding, avalanches and fire across British Columbia

Hot spell hikes risks of flooding, avalanches and fire across British Columbia
The River Forecast Centre website says temperatures are expected to be at least 10 degrees above normal for many areas of the province right through the weekend before cooler weather and rain arrive next week.

Hot spell hikes risks of flooding, avalanches and fire across British Columbia

New flat rate of 2 dollars per hour for parking meters in Chinatown

New flat rate of 2 dollars per hour for parking meters in Chinatown
Mayor Ken Sim says the community has called the cost of parking a barrier to visiting and doing business in Chinatown. The new flat rate will take effect June 1st and run from 9 a-m to 10 p-m, seven days a week.

New flat rate of 2 dollars per hour for parking meters in Chinatown

Supreme Court to rule on Surrey six slayings appeal

Supreme Court to rule on Surrey six slayings appeal
Lawyers for Cody Haevischer and Matthew Johnston argued last October that the men were wrongfully denied a chance to give evidence about "egregious" police misconduct and cruel in-custody treatment that tainted their convictions.

Supreme Court to rule on Surrey six slayings appeal

Surrey schools face double-decker portables, program cuts, says Falcon, school board

Surrey schools face double-decker portables, program cuts, says Falcon, school board
Falcon told the Legislature Wednesday that instead of removing school portables, the numbers have doubled in six years of NDP government and some schools are now considering placing portables on top of each other, creating "double-decker portables."

Surrey schools face double-decker portables, program cuts, says Falcon, school board

Robbery at a Victoria jewelry store, suspect arrested

Robbery at a Victoria jewelry store, suspect arrested
Victoria police say they've arrested a suspect in a brazen daylight robbery at a jewelry store. They say the suspect entered the store on April 15th armed with a hammer and stole a number of items from three display cases before fleeing.

Robbery at a Victoria jewelry store, suspect arrested