Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Chilliwack joins Abbotsford, Mission, and the FVRD for a mediator in month long transit strike

Chilliwack joins Abbotsford, Mission, and the FVRD for a mediator in month long transit strike
Some unionized bus drivers and maintenance workers walked off the job on March 20th, cutting regular bus service. Contract bargaining is protected from interference under B-C’s Labour Relations Code and municipalities have a long-standing rule of not commenting on negotiations.

Chilliwack joins Abbotsford, Mission, and the FVRD for a mediator in month long transit strike

Victim in Pitt Meadows homicide identified as 31-year-old Randy Semotiuk

Victim in Pitt Meadows homicide identified as 31-year-old Randy Semotiuk
Police have identified the victim in a homicide in Pitt Meadows this week as 31-year-old Randy Semotiuk. Police say the unhoused man from Maple Ridge had not been seen for several days, prompting a search from the R-C-M-P.  

Victim in Pitt Meadows homicide identified as 31-year-old Randy Semotiuk

Burnaby man sentenced for multiple crimes

Burnaby man sentenced for multiple crimes
A 28-year-old man who went on a multi-day crime spree in Burnaby and Vancouver last year has been sentenced to three years and two months in prison. Hayden McCorriston pleaded guilty in December to numerous charges, including sexual assault, assault by choking, and robbery. 

Burnaby man sentenced for multiple crimes

Brampton honours Canada's first turbaned Sikh MP Gurbax Malhi

Brampton honours Canada's first turbaned Sikh MP Gurbax Malhi
Malhi paved the way for the representation of turban-wearing individuals and minorities in Parliament and was a fierce advocate for diversity and inclusion. The honour for Malhi coincides with the Sikh Heritage Month, and it was presented to him by Mayor Patrick Brown at a ceremony in The Rose Brampton, Ontario.

Brampton honours Canada's first turbaned Sikh MP Gurbax Malhi

Canada needs 30,000 new immigrants in agri sector: Report

Canada needs 30,000 new immigrants in agri sector: Report
Over the same period, a shortfall of 24,000 general farm, nursery and greenhouse workers is expected to emerge, and in 10 years, 60 per cent of today's farm operators will be over the age of 65, that is, close to retirement.

Canada needs 30,000 new immigrants in agri sector: Report

B.C. old-growth protesters celebrate as contempt prosecution has 'collapsed'

B.C. old-growth protesters celebrate as contempt prosecution has 'collapsed'
Gordon Comer with the prosecution service says they’re reviewing other cases affected by a court ruling back in February that acquitted protester Ryan Henderson on contempt charges due to the R-C-M-P’s failure to properly read an injunction to Fairy Creek blockaders. 

B.C. old-growth protesters celebrate as contempt prosecution has 'collapsed'