Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Surrey recognized as ‘Tree City of the World’ for fourth time

Surrey recognized as ‘Tree City of the World’ for fourth time
The Tree Cities of the World Program is an international initiative intended to recognize cities and towns that are committed to ensuring their urban forests are celebrated, properly maintained, and sustainably managed.  

Surrey recognized as ‘Tree City of the World’ for fourth time

Housing, dental benefits had low take-up: report

Housing, dental benefits had low take-up: report
The federal dental benefit was rolled out in the fall to provide families with up to $650 per child under 12 for dental care. It was the first step toward creating a national dental care program, a key promise in the Liberals' confidence-and-supply agreement with the NDP.

Housing, dental benefits had low take-up: report

War on drugs redux: U.S. cracks down on fentanyl

War on drugs redux: U.S. cracks down on fentanyl
Public Safety Minister Marco Mendicino says a continental strategy for dealing with fentanyl will be a key priority during the meetings. The U.S. has already embarked on an aggressive law-enforcement approach, seizing more than 2,200 kilograms of fentanyl in the last month — virtually all of it coming across the southern border.    

War on drugs redux: U.S. cracks down on fentanyl

Federal workers to strike if no deal by tonight

Federal workers to strike if no deal by tonight
Mediated contract negotiations between the Public Service Alliance of Canada and the government began in early April and continued through the weekend in what the union describes as the government's last chance to reach a deal.

Federal workers to strike if no deal by tonight

Officers to testify at inquest of B.C. man's death

Officers to testify at inquest of B.C. man's death
Myles Gray, who was 33, died in August 2015, shortly after a beating by seven officers, leaving him with a broken eye socket, a crushed voice box, a ruptured testicle and other injuries. The inquest began Monday in Burnaby, B.C., with testimony from six of the more than 40 witnesses expected to appear over 10 days.    

Officers to testify at inquest of B.C. man's death

Legal door-to-door pot delivery launches in B.C.

Legal door-to-door pot delivery launches in B.C.
Uber Canada says, starting immediately, B.C. residents over the age of 19 can use the Uber Eats app to order marijuana from local, licensed retailers. The statement from Uber Eats says its delivery workers won't be involved because certified staff from the cannabis retailer will instead deliver the order to the customer and verify the recipient's age and sobriety.

Legal door-to-door pot delivery launches in B.C.