Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Evacuation Alert in place due to 20 hectare fire near Lillooet

Evacuation Alert in place due to 20 hectare fire near Lillooet
The B-C Wildifire Service says a small blaze that was burning out of control near the Pavilion Reserve north of Lillooet did not grow overnight. Wildfire service spokeswoman Carly Desrosiers says the roughly 20-hectare blaze was being held, but crews are keeping a close watch.

Evacuation Alert in place due to 20 hectare fire near Lillooet

B.C. enacts regulation to ensure protection of Ozempic supply for diabetes patients

B.C. enacts regulation to ensure protection of Ozempic supply for diabetes patients
Health Minister Adrian Dix says the ministry is enacting a new regulation to protect not only the supply of Ozempic in B-C, but other drugs that may need the same protection in future.  

B.C. enacts regulation to ensure protection of Ozempic supply for diabetes patients

16 year old North Vancouver girl target of attempted luring

16 year old North Vancouver girl target of attempted luring
On March 29th, 2023 at around 4:15 p.m., in the 1500 block of Tatlow Ave., the girl was walking alone. The diver and lone occupant of the BMW pulled alongside her, asked where she lived, and offered her a ride. When the girl declined, he followed her while repeating his offer. She repeatedly declined before the driver left the area.

16 year old North Vancouver girl target of attempted luring

13 year old school girl offered ride by a stranger

13 year old school girl offered ride by a stranger
The witness is described as a woman in her 20’s, wearing a black coat and walking a small beige poodle. The witness had a brief interaction with the youth after the man drove away.  Investigators are looking to identify and speak with the witness to advance the investigation.  

13 year old school girl offered ride by a stranger

Police investigating shooting in Downtown New Westminster, 2 in custody

Police investigating shooting in Downtown New Westminster, 2 in custody
The response prompted a large police presence at the Royal Columbian Hospital. A man is being treated for non-life threatening injuries and two suspects are in police custody.  

Police investigating shooting in Downtown New Westminster, 2 in custody

Surrey RCMP need your help in locating missing man Bikramjeet Singh

Surrey RCMP need your help in locating missing man Bikramjeet Singh
He was last seen on April 15, 2023 at 7:00 p.m. in the 7000-block of 131 Street in Surrey. Police and family are concerned for Bikramjeet’s health and well-being as it is out of character for him to be out of contact.

Surrey RCMP need your help in locating missing man Bikramjeet Singh