Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. toxic drug deaths in 2023 approach record

B.C. toxic drug deaths in 2023 approach record
It says that's the second highest total ever recorded over the first three months of a calendar year, behind only 2022 when 599 people died. The figures also show that 2,314 deaths due to toxic drugs occurred last year, making the annual toll the deadliest on record since a public health emergency was declared in 2016.

B.C. toxic drug deaths in 2023 approach record

IHIT called in after a body found in Pitt Meadows

IHIT called in after a body found in Pitt Meadows
Ridge Meadows RCMP are confirming that a man was located deceased in Pitt Meadows. On Monday, at around noon police located a man’s body in a wooded area west of Golden Ears bridge. The police investigation has revealed this incident to be suspicious in nature. 

IHIT called in after a body found in Pitt Meadows

Surrey RCMP investigate shots fired in Newton area

Surrey RCMP investigate shots fired in Newton area
The initial investigation indicates that a white van was seen fleeing the scene. Police will be working to determine if a subsequent vehicle fire found nearby at 147 Street and 69 Avenue is connected to the shooting investigation.    

Surrey RCMP investigate shots fired in Newton area

Two men charged in 2021 Naramata, B.C., murder

Two men charged in 2021 Naramata, B.C., murder
Twenty-three-year-old Ekene Anigbo of Vancouver and 23-year-old Jalen Falk of Burnaby, B.C., have both been charged in the death of Kathleen Richardson in Naramata, B.C., in June of 2021.

Two men charged in 2021 Naramata, B.C., murder

B.C. proposes six new ridings, expands to 93 seats

B.C. proposes six new ridings, expands to 93 seats
The proposed increase of six new electoral districts includes four in the Lower Mainland in Vancouver, Burnaby, Surrey and Langley, one on Vancouver Island in Langford and another in Kelowna in the B.C. Interior.

B.C. proposes six new ridings, expands to 93 seats

Man arrested after stabbing death on B.C. bus

Man arrested after stabbing death on B.C. bus
Seventeen-year-old Ethan Bespflug was killed on a bus in Surrey, B.C., last Tuesday. Police say they don't believe the attack was random and they hope to have an update on possible charges soon.

Man arrested after stabbing death on B.C. bus