Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Air Canada to launch direct flights from YVR to Dubai this Fall

Air Canada to launch direct flights from YVR to Dubai this Fall
The new route will operate four times weekly beginning Oct. 28, 2023 onboard Air Canada's flagship Dreamliner fleet. The carrier's new Vancouver-Dubai flights will complement Air Canada's daily service between Toronto and Dubai, broadening its presence in fast-growing international markets.

Air Canada to launch direct flights from YVR to Dubai this Fall

15 year old in hospital after being stabbed on the grounds of a Delta elementary school

15 year old in hospital after being stabbed on the grounds of a Delta elementary school
The investigation has determined the victim was targeted. There is no known connection to any other high-profile assaults in the lower mainland involving youth. While the incident occurred on school grounds, there is no connection to the school.

15 year old in hospital after being stabbed on the grounds of a Delta elementary school

Great 8 Sikhs Global Sikh Trailblazers Who Are Shining Bright

Great 8 Sikhs Global Sikh Trailblazers Who Are Shining Bright
Vaisakhi is a significant festival for Sikhs all over the world. It is a time for reflection, renewal, and celebration of the Sikh community's values and accomplishments. In this special Vaisakhi issue of Darpan magazine, we highlight eight Sikhs who have achieved remarkable success in their respective fields, and who serve as role models for the community and beyond.

Great 8 Sikhs Global Sikh Trailblazers Who Are Shining Bright

Will services continue if federal workers strike?

Will services continue if federal workers strike?
In the event of a strike, many federal services from taxes to passport renewals could be affected — with departments and agencies now signalling which essential services will continue during a strike, and which may be disrupted.

Will services continue if federal workers strike?

Magnitude 6 quake off B.C. coast causes no alarm

Magnitude 6 quake off B.C. coast causes no alarm
Earthquakes Canada estimated the quake that happened at about 8 a.m. local time was magnitude 5.8, while the tsunami warning centre said it reached 6.2. The earthquake was centred along the eastern edge of the Juan de Fuca plate off Vancouver Island.    

Magnitude 6 quake off B.C. coast causes no alarm

B.C. working to ensure transit safety: premier

B.C. working to ensure transit safety: premier
David Eby says the stabbing death of a 17-year-old male on a Surrey bus on Tuesday is every parent's nightmare. The premier says Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth is reaching out to transit authorities and police to see if more resources are needed to ensure transit safety.

B.C. working to ensure transit safety: premier