Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Review blames weather for Vancouver airport mess

Review blames weather for Vancouver airport mess
The report says two dozen aircraft with passengers aboard waited up to 11 hours on the tarmac because there were no gates available, while passengers were given inaccurate information and communication from the airport authority was inadequate.

Review blames weather for Vancouver airport mess

Man beaten by Vancouver police kind, loyal: sister

Man beaten by Vancouver police kind, loyal: sister
Myles Gray, 33, died on Aug. 13, 2015, following a beating involving seven officers that sent him into cardiac arrest and left him with a broken eye socket, a partially dislocated jaw, a crushed voice box and a ruptured testicle and other injuries.

Man beaten by Vancouver police kind, loyal: sister

PSAC sets strike deadline for federal government

PSAC sets strike deadline for federal government
The Public Service Alliance of Canada says some 155,000 employees are prepared to walk off the job beginning Wednesday, including 35,000 workers from the Canada Revenue Agency. The biggest sticking point in the talks appears to be pay, with the union calling for raises to keep up with inflation and the rising cost of living.

PSAC sets strike deadline for federal government

CBC should exit Twitter over new label: expert

CBC should exit Twitter over new label: expert
The executive director of the Master of Public Policy in Digital Society at McMaster University says an exit from Twitter would be an opportunity for CBC to refresh the public's understanding of how its funded and maintain editorial independence.

CBC should exit Twitter over new label: expert

Inquest into VPD-linked death to begin in Burnaby

Inquest into VPD-linked death to begin in Burnaby
British Columbia's Prosecution Service declined to approve criminal charges against the officers in 2020, saying they were the only eye witnesses to the 33-year-old's death and offered accounts described as incomplete and sometimes inconsistent.

Inquest into VPD-linked death to begin in Burnaby

Avalanche claims life of snowmobiler in B.C.

Avalanche claims life of snowmobiler in B.C.
The avalanche safety organization says a trio of snowmobilers was riding a slope above Whirlpool Lake on Saturday when two of the riders were caught up in a slide. Avalanche Canada says one rider managed to avoid being buried, but one was trapped under two metres of snow.    

Avalanche claims life of snowmobiler in B.C.