Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

BC Ferry commissioner OKs 9.2% yearly fare hikes

BC Ferry commissioner OKs 9.2% yearly fare hikes
Transportation Minister Rob Fleming says in a response to the statement that he wants to assure those who use the coastal ferry service that the goal is to hold the annual fare increase to three per cent.

BC Ferry commissioner OKs 9.2% yearly fare hikes

'The Last of Us' set to film in Vancouver

'The Last of Us' set to film in Vancouver
The wildly popular show stars Pedro Pascal and Bella Ramsey as their characters traverse the United States 20 years after a fungal pandemic collapses society. The show, based on a video game franchise of the same name, has proved to be a boon for Alberta's film and travel sectors.

'The Last of Us' set to film in Vancouver

49 year old man dead after crash takes place in Cloverdale area of Surrey

49 year old man dead after crash takes place in Cloverdale area of Surrey
Two motorcycles were travelling east bound on Fraser Highway approaching 182 street, when they both lost control and struck the center median. The 49 year old male rider of one of the motorcycles was transported to a local area hospital where he was pronounced deceased. The other rider, a male, suffered serious injuries.

49 year old man dead after crash takes place in Cloverdale area of Surrey

Drilling down on cost of federal dental care

Drilling down on cost of federal dental care
In its 2023 budget Tuesday, the government revealed the federally administered insurance program will be far more expensive over the next five years than it originally thought. It is also projecting that ongoing costs after that will more than double to $4.4 billion per year, up from $1.7 billion.

Drilling down on cost of federal dental care

Humboldt reflects five years after bus crash

Humboldt reflects five years after bus crash
The CEO of the Horizon School Division, whose term at the helm of the hockey team has ended, was unexpectedly thrust into an international spotlight after the crash. So was his community and team. Now, Garinger says, the intense focus has faded but the small Saskatchewan city east of Saskatoon is still figuring out how to exist within that legacy.

Humboldt reflects five years after bus crash

Rogers-Shaw deal gains final approval from Ottawa

Rogers-Shaw deal gains final approval from Ottawa
The largest telecommunications deal in Canadian history will go forward after Rogers Communications Inc.'s $26-billion takeover of Shaw Communications Inc. received approval from Ottawa on Friday. The green light means the deal has cleared its final regulatory hurdle just over two years after it was first announced.

Rogers-Shaw deal gains final approval from Ottawa