Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Murder of a Kamloops man associated to bloody Ikea rug

Murder of a Kamloops man associated to bloody Ikea rug
Peter Casimir is known to have also used the alias of Jake Maserski. Investigators continue to seek any additional information the public may have with respect to knowledge of the Ikea area rug and its origin.

Murder of a Kamloops man associated to bloody Ikea rug

UBC encourages students to uninstall TikTok

UBC encourages students to uninstall TikTok
The school says in a statement issued last week that the app is one of UBC’s fastest-growing social media platforms, used by students, staff and faculty for entertainment, research, outreach and recruitment.    

UBC encourages students to uninstall TikTok

Egyptian asylum seekers decry CBSA 'Islamophobia'

Egyptian asylum seekers decry CBSA 'Islamophobia'
Five families from Egypt claim the CBSA's actions are fuelled by "Islamophobia" and information provided by the Egyptian government, which is leading Canada to withhold protection and causing severe "distress and trauma."

Egyptian asylum seekers decry CBSA 'Islamophobia'

Indian police identify migrant Akwesasne victims

Indian police identify migrant Akwesasne victims
Achal Tyagi, superintendent of police for the city of Mehsana, in the western state of Gujarat, told The Canadian Press that the four deceased Indians were members of the Chaudhari family. They included the father, Praveenbhai Chaudhari, 50; mother, Dakshaben, 45; son, Meet, 20; and 23-year-old daughter, Vidhi.

Indian police identify migrant Akwesasne victims

New medical standards aim to manage kids' pain

New medical standards aim to manage kids' pain
It's the first national standard in the world focused on pediatric pain. Emergency physician and pediatric pain researcher Dr. Samina Ali says for a long time, doctors believed young children's nervous systems were so underdeveloped they couldn't feel or remember pain.

New medical standards aim to manage kids' pain

Man's throat slashed on Surrey, B.C., bus: police

Man's throat slashed on Surrey, B.C., bus: police
Court documents show that Abdul Aziz Kawam, born in 1995, faces four counts of committing an offence "for the benefit of a terrorist group" linked to the attack on Saturday. The terror charges carry a maximum penalty of life imprisonment.

Man's throat slashed on Surrey, B.C., bus: police