Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Vancouver's March home sales down 42.5%: REBGV

Vancouver's March home sales down 42.5%: REBGV
Last month's sales totalled 2,535 compared with 4,405 sales in March 2022 and 1,808 in February. The B.C. board says the numbers signal that March home sales are making a stronger than expected spring showing so far, despite elevated borrowing costs.

Vancouver's March home sales down 42.5%: REBGV

Fungus deadly to bats detected in B.C. guano

Fungus deadly to bats detected in B.C. guano
The ministry says the fungus is primarily spread by bat-to-bat contact and doesn't affect humans but can spread through the movement of contaminated clothing and gear, or through accidental transport of the animals.

Fungus deadly to bats detected in B.C. guano

B.C. Indigenous rights beat mining, court hears

B.C. Indigenous rights beat mining, court hears
Human rights commissioner Kasari Govender confirmed in a separate news release Monday that she will be in court this week. She said how the declaration act is interpreted and implemented in this case will have "important implications for reconciliation in the province."

B.C. Indigenous rights beat mining, court hears

Child becomes entangled in garage door: New Westminster Police

Child becomes entangled in garage door: New Westminster Police
Officers learned that the child had become entangled in the garage door and had suffered injuries. A heroic neighbour heard the mother in distress and rushed to free the child who was unable to free themself from the moving parts of the garage door.

Child becomes entangled in garage door: New Westminster Police

2 VPD officers attacked in Stanley Park

2 VPD officers attacked in Stanley Park
The officers were on patrol Saturday afternoon when they were called around 4 p.m. to check on a man who was yelling, swearing, and making families feel unsafe near the playground at Second Beach. Shortly after the officers arrived, the man turned on them. He attacked the constables and caused injures to their faces and heads.

2 VPD officers attacked in Stanley Park

Hydrogen projects on track for 2025 goal: minister

Hydrogen projects on track for 2025 goal: minister
CEO Trent Vichie said in an interview Monday all signs point to bringing the US$1 billion first phase to fruition by 2025, producing 220,000 tonnes of ammonia annually. Phase 2, with another US$5-billion investment, will increase production to one million tonnes and add an onshore wind farm by the end of 2026.

Hydrogen projects on track for 2025 goal: minister