Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Boundary commission seeks six new B.C. ridings

Boundary commission seeks six new B.C. ridings
Of the six newly proposed electoral districts, the commission says four should be located in Burnaby, Langley, Surrey and Vancouver. It says many ridings across Greater Vancouver continue to grow quickly and are already more than 25 per cent above the quotient that ensures fair representation by population.

Boundary commission seeks six new B.C. ridings

62 year old woman robbed by 5 unknown males: Abbotsford Police

62 year old woman robbed by 5 unknown males: Abbotsford Police
During the robbery, the suspects presented a firearm demanding money from the victim before stealing and leaving in the victim’s vehicle. Both the victim’s stolen vehicle and the suspect vehicle used to arrive at the victim’s property have been located and seized by police. Although shaken, the victim and other occupants at the property were not injured.

62 year old woman robbed by 5 unknown males: Abbotsford Police

No charges to be pressed in violent killing of Indo-Canadian activist

No charges to be pressed in violent killing of Indo-Canadian activist
Amar, a 40 year-old father of three, was fatally injured on August 31, 2022 during a physical altercation between two neighbours, leading to the arrest of one person. British Columbia (BC) Prosecution spokesperson Dan McLaughlin told Global News that the case didn't meet the standard for charge assessment according to the Crown.

No charges to be pressed in violent killing of Indo-Canadian activist

Surrey crash on Highway 10 and King George Blvd leaves a man dead

Surrey crash on Highway 10 and King George Blvd leaves a man dead
The crash Monday night left a man in his 50s dead.  At around 8:07pm, the vehicle was travelling northbound on King George Blvd when it went off road.

Surrey crash on Highway 10 and King George Blvd leaves a man dead

Battle looming over Canada's defence spending

Battle looming over Canada's defence spending
The budget document says spending by the Defence Department will reach nearly $40 billion by 2026-27 as a result of those additional investments, but the government is not saying what that means as a share of Canada's gross domestic product.    

Battle looming over Canada's defence spending

Federal spending on staff grew during pandemic

Federal spending on staff grew during pandemic
The Parliamentary Budget Office says the increase in salaries was the largest contributor to the rise in total compensation, but spending on pensions, overtime and bonuses also grew at a faster rate.

Federal spending on staff grew during pandemic