Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

BC's police watchdog investigates a deadly officer involved shooting in Surrey

BC's police watchdog investigates a deadly officer involved shooting in Surrey
It says police identified two robbery suspects and, during an altercation, an officer shot and killed a man. The authority says the second suspect was taken into custody and no one else was hurt.

BC's police watchdog investigates a deadly officer involved shooting in Surrey

Humboldt marks five years since deadly bus crash

Humboldt marks five years since deadly bus crash
Mayor Michael Behiel has proclaimed it “2017-18 Humboldt Broncos Day” and encouraged people to take a moment of silence as the bells echo around 4:50 p.m., the approximate time the crash occurred five years ago.

Humboldt marks five years since deadly bus crash

Vancouver seeks more space for displaced campers

Vancouver seeks more space for displaced campers
Mayor Ken Sim ordered the long-standing encampment removed after the city's police and fire chiefs warned of escalating crime and an unacceptable fire risk. At the camp's peak, about 180 structures covered the sidewalk along the busy street.

Vancouver seeks more space for displaced campers

Pattullo Bridge closed for Easter long weekend

Pattullo Bridge closed for Easter long weekend
Drivers are reminded that the Pattullo Bridge between Surrey and New Westminster will be closed in both directions starting on Thursday, April 6, at 10 p.m. and reopening on Tuesday, April 11, at 5 a.m. Drivers should take the Port Mann or Alex Fraser bridges as alternate routes. 

Pattullo Bridge closed for Easter long weekend

39 year old Burnaby man facing 9 child sex related charges

39 year old Burnaby man facing 9 child sex related charges
On March 3rd of last year police were contacted about allegations involving a man and a child victim whom the accused had initially met online, and later met in-person. On March 9th,  following an extensive investigation, 39-year-old Adam Joseph Woolacott of Burnaby was charged with various sexual offences. 

39 year old Burnaby man facing 9 child sex related charges

Burnaby RCMP issues public warning after phone scammer poses as Victim Services employee

Burnaby RCMP issues public warning after phone scammer poses as Victim Services employee
The man, who had unfortunately lost money to a so-called grandparent scam last summer, received a phone call from a person claiming to work for Burnaby RCMP Victim Services who said she could help him recover the lost funds. The scammer verbally provided the legitimate Burnaby RCMP Victim Services phone number to the senior as a callback number.

Burnaby RCMP issues public warning after phone scammer poses as Victim Services employee