Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Students eager for financial assistance review

Students eager for financial assistance review
For the 2023-24 school year, the Liberals are planning to increase the maximum grants available to $4,200, up from $3,000. The loan limit is also increasing $300 per week of study from $210.    

Students eager for financial assistance review

High court won't hear private health challenge

High court won't hear private health challenge
Dr. Brian Day is CEO of the Cambie Surgery Centre, which, along with a handful of patients, has spent more than a decade in court challenging the British Columbia Medicare Protection Act, which bans extra-billing and private insurance for medically necessary procedures.

High court won't hear private health challenge

Canada's employment continues upward trend in March

Canada's employment continues upward trend in March
Employment has generally trended up since September 2022. Over that period, the number of people employed has increased by 383,000, or 1.9 per cent, the national statistical agency added on Thursday.

Canada's employment continues upward trend in March

B.C. emerging from pandemic, Henry says

B.C. emerging from pandemic, Henry says
Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry says the requirement for health-care workers to be fully vaccinated remains, but the steady decline in COVID-19 hospitalizations indicates the province is "emerging" from the pandemic.

B.C. emerging from pandemic, Henry says

Richmond RCMP need the public's assistance in locating Nathan Pillay

Richmond RCMP need the public's assistance in locating Nathan Pillay
27-year old Nathan Pillay was last seen leaving his home in the 10200 block of Shell Road at about midnight last night (April 5/6). Pillay requires daily medication and family members are becoming concerned for his well-being.

Richmond RCMP need the public's assistance in locating Nathan Pillay

Coquitlam high school was under lockdown, RCMP investigating

Coquitlam high school was under lockdown, RCMP investigating
Police have identified and located two youth who are believed to be the source of the threat. There is no continued threat to the public or the school. The school lifted their lockdown with classes resuming as normal.

Coquitlam high school was under lockdown, RCMP investigating