Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Former PM Brian Mulroney has prostate cancer

Former PM Brian Mulroney has prostate cancer
Mulroney, 84, was prime minister from 1984 to 1993, as leader of the Progressive Conservatives. While in office he negotiated the first free trade agreement with the U.S., which later became NAFTA.

Former PM Brian Mulroney has prostate cancer

B.C. to boost minimum wage to $16.75 an hour

B.C. to boost minimum wage to $16.75 an hour
A ministry statement says the wage increase matches B.C.'s 2022 average inflation rate and will benefit about 150,000 workers, most of them food service staff, grocery store workers, retail workers and others who were essential workers during the pandemic.

B.C. to boost minimum wage to $16.75 an hour

Trudeau calls landfill discovery heartbreaking

Trudeau calls landfill discovery heartbreaking
Trudeau says it's heartbreaking that discoveries like these continue to happen. The Winnipeg homicide unit says it started an investigation after staff at the Brady Road landfill south of the city found the body of 33-year-old Linda Mary Beardy on Monday.

Trudeau calls landfill discovery heartbreaking

Man accused of killing B.C. teen pleads not guilty

Man accused of killing B.C. teen pleads not guilty
Ibrahim Ali pleaded not guilty and told the jury through an interpreter that he "did not kill Marrisa Shen." The body of the 13-year-old girl was found in Burnaby's Central Park on July 18, 2017, just hours after her mother had reported her missing.

Man accused of killing B.C. teen pleads not guilty

Indo-Canadian gets 10 year jail for stealing $47.4m from Ontario govt

Indo-Canadian gets 10 year jail for stealing $47.4m from Ontario govt
Sanjay Madan, who served as an IT Director within the Ministry of Education, pleaded guilty to multiple charges of fraud, breach of trust, and money laundering, which he committed by overseeing two complicated schemes to bilk millions of dollars from taxpayers, the Global News reported.

Indo-Canadian gets 10 year jail for stealing $47.4m from Ontario govt

Man extradited to U.S. on human smuggling charges

Man extradited to U.S. on human smuggling charges
Simranjit (Shally) Singh, 40, appeared in an Albany, N.Y., court Friday to face six counts of alien smuggling for profit and three counts of conspiracy to commit alien smuggling for profit, a day after he was extradited from Canada.

Man extradited to U.S. on human smuggling charges