Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

2023 cruise ship season begins in B.C.

2023 cruise ship season begins in B.C.
The Port of Vancouver says 331 cruise ships are scheduled over the same period, potentially delivering more than one million visitors into the downtown core, with almost daily arrivals and departures at the height of the season between May and September.

2023 cruise ship season begins in B.C.

Vancouver shelter over capacity amid decampment

Vancouver shelter over capacity amid decampment
Vancouver police and city staff moved into the Downtown Eastside encampment last Wednesday to dismantle and throw away belongings, tents and other structures that lined the sidewalks on Hastings Street. Mayor Ken Sim, along with the fire and police chiefs, said the fire danger and increased crime meant the encampment had to be dismantled.

Vancouver shelter over capacity amid decampment

Encrypted online drug trafficking on the rise

Encrypted online drug trafficking on the rise
The study showed almost 17 tonnes of drug products were trafficked for $234.7 million in eight markets, with the most popular drugs being stimulants, cannabis, opioids and benzodiazepines.

Encrypted online drug trafficking on the rise

B.C. Liberals set to change name to B.C. United

B.C. Liberals set to change name to B.C. United
The party announced in November that 80 per cent of Liberal members voted to proceed with the name change to BC United. Falcon, who was elected leader last year, said that reconsidering the party name was a priority during his leadership campaign where he promised full-scale renewal.

B.C. Liberals set to change name to B.C. United

Canada to wait for U.S. leak investigation: expert

Canada to wait for U.S. leak investigation: expert
The documents posted online are labelled secret and contain what appear to be details on weapons and equipment shipments to Ukraine, but they also contain apparent inaccuracies that have some questioning their authenticity, or whether they were altered.

Canada to wait for U.S. leak investigation: expert

Surrey RCMP looking for a suspect for mischief to the Cenotaph outside the Surrey Museum

Surrey RCMP looking for a suspect for mischief to the Cenotaph outside the Surrey Museum
The suspect is described as a Caucasian male, approximately 30-35 years old, medium build, approximately 170 lbs, with brown shoulder length hair, brown goatee beard and wearing prescription glasses.  He was last seen wearing a black jacket with a blue shirt underneath, black pants, white runners with blue shoe laces.

Surrey RCMP looking for a suspect for mischief to the Cenotaph outside the Surrey Museum