Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Window platform stuck on Vancouver highrise

Window platform stuck on Vancouver highrise
Several fire trucks snarled Georgia Street's eastbound lanes near the main library as firefighters worked to free the pair, who had been replacing glass on the Deloitte Summit tower when the platform refused to move Thursday morning.

Window platform stuck on Vancouver highrise

Court approves $2.8B class-action settlement

Court approves $2.8B class-action settlement
A Federal Court judge has approved a $2.8 billion settlement agreement between the Canadian government and plaintiffs representing 325 First Nations whose members went to residential day schools. Those members were ineligible for the 2006 settlement reached between Canada and full-time students at the schools.

Court approves $2.8B class-action settlement

New Westminster Police looking for suspect in bear spray assault

New Westminster Police looking for suspect in bear spray assault
Police searched the area for someone matching the suspect description, and provided aid to the victim. Despite searches of the surrounding area, no one matching the suspect description could be found.

New Westminster Police looking for suspect in bear spray assault

Ottawa to fast-track weapon purchases: Anand

Ottawa to fast-track weapon purchases: Anand
Anand announced the plan Thursday at the Conference of Defence Associations Institute, one of Canada's largest defence conferences, saying the new weapons are needed now for Canadian troops in Latvia and other parts of Europe.    

Ottawa to fast-track weapon purchases: Anand

COVID-19 impact on mental health limited: study

COVID-19 impact on mental health limited: study
Senior author Dr. Brett Thombs, a researcher at McGill University, said that coverage of the pandemic has mostly focused on snapshots of people whose mental health has deteriorated and people have generalized that to the overall population.

COVID-19 impact on mental health limited: study

Mary Ellen Turpel-Lafond stripped of B.C. award

Mary Ellen Turpel-Lafond stripped of B.C. award
The association says board members believed Turpel-Lafond's representations about her professional accomplishments and Cree heritage when it granted the award recognizing substantial contributions to civil liberties in B.C. and Canada.

Mary Ellen Turpel-Lafond stripped of B.C. award