Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Liberals move to create foreign influence registry

Liberals move to create foreign influence registry
The government has been under intense scrutiny in recent weeks over allegations in media reports that they did not act when they were warned China was trying to interfere in the last two federal elections. The reports by Global News and the Globe and Mail newspaper cite unnamed security sources and leaks of highly classified documents.

Liberals move to create foreign influence registry

Joly urges China to include Ukraine in peace talks

Joly urges China to include Ukraine in peace talks
Joly said Canada has been pushing China to expand its talks with Russia to include Ukraine, while South Africa's envoy urged Canada to instead support a settlement to the war. She was speaking at a public discussion on multilateralism with Norwegian Foreign Affairs Minister Anniken Huitfeldt in Ottawa.

Joly urges China to include Ukraine in peace talks

Google will stop blocking news links in Canada

Google will stop blocking news links in Canada
The company has said the test applied to news of all kinds, including content created by Canadian broadcasters and newspapers. The test will end on March 16. 

Google will stop blocking news links in Canada

B.C. to drop COVID-19 vaccine requirement

B.C. to drop COVID-19 vaccine requirement
The province says that from April 3, BC Public Service employees will no longer be required to provide proof of vaccination. It says more than 98 per cent of employees met the requirement.      

B.C. to drop COVID-19 vaccine requirement

Vancouver Police's arrest attempt leaves 25 year old man seriously injured

Vancouver Police's arrest attempt leaves 25 year old man seriously injured
Officers were made aware the man had a BC-wide warrant.  While they attempted to speak to the man in the hallway of the building, witnesses saw him fall from his balcony. The 25-year-old man was taken to hospital with life-threatening injuries.

Vancouver Police's arrest attempt leaves 25 year old man seriously injured

COVID-19 'steady' but not over in Canada, Tam says

COVID-19 'steady' but not over in Canada, Tam says
Tam says population immunity is high due to an overall high vaccine uptake combined with the immunity people got from infection. She says officials are continuing to watch for new strains of the virus that can evade people's immune systems.

COVID-19 'steady' but not over in Canada, Tam says