Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

NDP wants Liberals to expand GST rebate in budget

NDP wants Liberals to expand GST rebate in budget
Party leader Jagmeet Singh said he expects to see money in the budget to expand dental care coverage to teens, seniors and people living with a disability, which was part of the confidence-and-supply agreement with the Liberals.

NDP wants Liberals to expand GST rebate in budget

A look at vehicle-ramming cases in Canada

A look at vehicle-ramming cases in Canada
Two people are dead and nine others are injured after a pickup truck ran into multiple pedestrians in the eastern Quebec community of Amqui on Monday, with police alleging the driver acted deliberately and with premeditation. Here's a look at some other vehicle-ramming cases in Canada in recent years:    

A look at vehicle-ramming cases in Canada

Body found after shots fired in Surrey, B.C.

Body found after shots fired in Surrey, B.C.
A statement from Surrey RCMP says the body was discovered as officers were called to the Grandview Heights neighbourhood just before 8 p.m. Monday. Police say the unnamed victim appeared to have been shot. The case has been turned over to IHIT. 

Body found after shots fired in Surrey, B.C.

Feds invest in safety improvements for cyclists and pedestrians along Surrey’s King George Boulevard

Feds invest in safety improvements for cyclists and pedestrians along Surrey’s King George Boulevard
Pedestrian safety measures and protected cycling infrastructure will be put in place between 96th and 108th avenues. Planned pedestrian safety improvements include wider sidewalks, curb extensions, new crosswalks and accessible curb ramps. 

Feds invest in safety improvements for cyclists and pedestrians along Surrey’s King George Boulevard

Two pedestrians killed in Quebec crash: police

Two pedestrians killed in Quebec crash: police
Sgt. Hélène St-Pierre said the 38-year-old driver, a local resident, turned himself in to police and was arrested under suspicion of committing a fatal hit and run. One man who died was in his 60s, and the other was in his 70s.    

Two pedestrians killed in Quebec crash: police

B.C. cautious but encouraged by bail reform moves

B.C. cautious but encouraged by bail reform moves
British Columbia's attorney general says the province is treading carefully to ensure the overincarceration of Indigenous people and other racialized groups is not made worse by proposed federal changes to the bail system.

B.C. cautious but encouraged by bail reform moves