Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

NDP calls for caregiver credit to be refundable

NDP calls for caregiver credit to be refundable
NDP MP Bonita Zarrillo, who is the party's critic for disability inclusion, sent a letter to Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland on Wednesday calling for the change in the upcoming federal budget. Individuals who are supporting a spouse, common-law partner or dependant with a physical or mental impairment can currently claim the credit against the federal taxes they owe.

NDP calls for caregiver credit to be refundable

Suspect in fatal shooting of 2 officers dead

Suspect in fatal shooting of 2 officers dead
Police Chief Dale McFee said Const. Travis Jordan, 35, and Const. Brett Ryan, 30, were shot by a man as they entered the building in the city's northwest and approached the suite. McFee said other officers rushed the wounded officers to hospital, where they were pronounced dead.

Suspect in fatal shooting of 2 officers dead

Man arrested with a gun at Abbotsford hospital

Man arrested with a gun at Abbotsford hospital
A person in the waiting room alerted hospital security after seeing the man drop a round of ammunition onto the floor. Hospital security contacted the police providing updates to arriving officers. Patrol officers immediately entered the hospital and took the man into custody without incident—a search of the man located a firearm.

Man arrested with a gun at Abbotsford hospital

B.C.'s TransLink gets $479M to avoid service cuts

B.C.'s TransLink gets $479M to avoid service cuts
Premier David Eby says the $479 million in provincial funding for TransLink will keep fares affordable, avoid service cuts and enable future transit expansion plans to continue. TransLink CEO Kevin Quinn says losses in ridership revenue because of the pandemic and higher service costs due to inflation. 

B.C.'s TransLink gets $479M to avoid service cuts

B.C. researcher calls for wild horse protections

B.C. researcher calls for wild horse protections
Wayne McCrory, who has been studying horses in the province for about two decades, said he was shocked to learn the animals had been shot to death. Wild horses are an important part of Canadian heritage, First Nation culture and the ecosystem, and need legislation to protect them, he said in an interview on Wednesday.

B.C. researcher calls for wild horse protections

David Johnston is foreign interference rapporteur

David Johnston is foreign interference rapporteur
Johnston has been asked to look into allegations of foreign meddling in Canada's last two federal elections and recommend what the Liberal government should do about it. That could include a public inquiry, which opposition parties have been calling for, or some other form of investigation.

David Johnston is foreign interference rapporteur