Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Man shot, killed by police in Prince George, B.C.

Man shot, killed by police in Prince George, B.C.
A statement from RCMP says the force has notified the independent B.C. office that investigates all cases of police-involved death or serious injury. Staff Sgt. Kris Clark says officers were called to Highway 97 just south of Prince George on Thursday because the man was in his vehicle and having a mental health crisis.

Man shot, killed by police in Prince George, B.C.

Homes under construction in Burnaby, Coquitlam, and West Vancouver targeted by theft home finishings and fixtures stolen.

Homes under construction in Burnaby, Coquitlam, and West Vancouver targeted by theft home finishings and  fixtures stolen.
The stolen property included everything from stoves, fridges, toilets and plumbing fixtures, to flooring and lighting, with many items still in their original packaging. The value of seized goods is estimated to be in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. Some individual items are estimated to be worth as much as $25,000.

Homes under construction in Burnaby, Coquitlam, and West Vancouver targeted by theft home finishings and fixtures stolen.

Discrimination found at human rights body: union

Discrimination found at human rights body: union
It said the Treasury Board Secretariat found the commission breached the "no discrimination" clause in its collective agreement, and has invited parties to engage in a mediation process to seek a meaningful resolution.  The union is calling the March 6 decision an important win, and one that will have consequences across the federal public service.

Discrimination found at human rights body: union

Councillor '100%' in support of interference probe

Councillor '100%' in support of interference probe
 The report says consulate officials worked to oust then-mayor Kennedy Stewart and elect a new mayor and a certain city councillor. Ongoing concerns about possible foreign interference in the 2019 and 2021 federal elections spurred Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to name former governor general David Johnston to investigate.

Councillor '100%' in support of interference probe

Killer says Amanda Zhao may be alive, enraging mom

Killer says Amanda Zhao may be alive, enraging mom
The 21-year-old English student’s remains had been found stuffed in a suitcase in Mission, B.C., and Yang’s identification of her daughter was also confirmed by a police DNA test. More than 20 years later, any sense of closure thatact offered has been torn apart by the claims of Zhao's convicted killer, Ang Li, that he was framed by China's government and Zhao might not be dead at all.

Killer says Amanda Zhao may be alive, enraging mom

Canada to hold special ceremony for coronation

Canada to hold special ceremony for coronation
The ceremony in Ottawa will be one of several events held over two days as Canada marks the investiture of its new monarch. Trudeau says the Canadian ceremony will acknowledge the special relationship that King Charles has had with Canada over the past 50 years as the Prince of Wales.

Canada to hold special ceremony for coronation