Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Suspect on the Loose in West Vancouver Armed Robbery

Suspect on the Loose in West Vancouver Armed Robbery
The suspect entered the gas station, produced a handgun, pointed the handgun at the cashier and demanded money. The suspect obtained an undisclosed amount of cash from the cash register before fleeing on foot. 

Suspect on the Loose in West Vancouver Armed Robbery

Abbotsford Police car targeted and shot at with a pellet gun

Abbotsford Police car targeted and shot at with a pellet gun
As officers approached the group in their unmarked police vehicle, a female emerged from the group and pointed a firearm toward the officer's vehicle and fired, striking the police vehicle's windshield, and causing minor damage.

Abbotsford Police car targeted and shot at with a pellet gun

Collision in New Westminster leaves one dead

Collision in New Westminster leaves one dead
The collision has caused a local power outage and city crews have been on scene.  If motorists encounter an intersection with no power, they are asked to treat the intersection as a four way stop.

Collision in New Westminster leaves one dead

Vancouver Folk Festival will return for 2023

Vancouver Folk Festival will return for 2023
A statement on the festival's website says it will be held July 14 to 16 at its usual location in Vancouver's Jericho Beach Park. Last year's scaled back festival will be used as a template to plan this year's program, with fewer stages and amenities than were offered before the COVID-19 pandemic.

Vancouver Folk Festival will return for 2023

Burnaby RCMP investigation leads to major drug bust at a home close to a school and a daycare

Burnaby RCMP investigation leads to major drug bust at a home close to a school and a daycare
Two magazines seized from this residence had the capacity to hold 27 and 50 rounds. Along with the drugs and weapons, around $10,000 in cash, a large amount of drug packaging, equipment for re-pressing drugs and two vehicles were seized.    

Burnaby RCMP investigation leads to major drug bust at a home close to a school and a daycare

Canadian attachment to monarchy dropping: poll

Canadian attachment to monarchy dropping: poll
The web survey of 1,544 adults released Tuesday by market research firm Leger indicates many Canadians are greeting the ascension of Charles to the throne with a shrug. Only 12 per cent of respondents said it was good news that Charles is now King, compared to 14 per cent who said it was bad news and 67 per cent who were indifferent.    

Canadian attachment to monarchy dropping: poll