Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Strike halts bus service in B.C.'s Fraser Valley

Strike halts bus service in B.C.'s Fraser Valley
The union says its members, who work for a company that contracts service to BC Transit, have no pension and make 32 per cent less than bus drivers and other staff elsewhere in Metro Vancouver's transit system.

Strike halts bus service in B.C.'s Fraser Valley

Class-action lawsuit launched against game maker

Class-action lawsuit launched against game maker
The statement says Fortnite creator Epic Games enriches itself by making content and customization options purchasable via an in-game currency, which are purchased with real cash. The class-action lawsuit would still need approval from the court and none of the allegations have been proven in court.

Class-action lawsuit launched against game maker

New Westminster Police officers appeal for witnesses to come forward following stabbing

New Westminster Police officers appeal for witnesses to come forward following stabbing
Officers searched the area but were unable to locate any suspects. Officers have been actively interviewing witnesses and canvassing the area for CCTV footage. Due to the serious nature of the injuries the Major Crime Unit has assumed conduct of the investigation. At this time, officers believe this to be an isolated incident.

New Westminster Police officers appeal for witnesses to come forward following stabbing

Turban ripped, Sikh student dragged by hair in Canada: Report

Turban ripped, Sikh student dragged by hair in Canada: Report
Gagandeep Singh, 21, was swarmed and beaten near Highway 97 and McCurdy Road in Kelowna after he got off a transit bus on March 17, CTV News reported. Gagandeep was heading home after grocery shopping when he encountered a group of young boys, between 12 and 15 years-old on the bus.

Turban ripped, Sikh student dragged by hair in Canada: Report

One-click citizenship oath temporary: Fraser

One-click citizenship oath temporary: Fraser
The immigration minister anticipates the one-click option would only be in effect as long as the government is swamped with backlogged citizenship applications. But the Conservative party's immigration critic worries it would "cheapen" an otherwise special moment for newcomers.

One-click citizenship oath temporary: Fraser

Man who stormed PM residence loses sentence appeal

Man who stormed PM residence loses sentence appeal
A decision dated Thursday says the six-year sentence handed to Corey Hurren in March 2021, less a year for the time he spent in custody before his sentencing, was "entirely fit." Hurren, a sausage-maker who served with the military's Canadian Rangers, had pleaded guilty to seven weapons charges and one mischief charge for his actions on the morning of July 2, 2020.

Man who stormed PM residence loses sentence appeal