Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Security tightens as Biden set to arrive in Ottawa

Security tightens as Biden set to arrive in Ottawa
In downtown Ottawa Wednesday, about 20 police vehicles circled the area as U.S. flags were strung up near Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's official office and the main street in front of Parliament Hill. Meanwhile, workers were busy installing fences to prepare for the visit.    

Security tightens as Biden set to arrive in Ottawa

Judge awards legal costs to former Vancouver mayor

Judge awards legal costs to former Vancouver mayor
B.C. Supreme Court Justice Wendy Baker's judgment says the defamation claims had "substantial merit," but found Stewart's statements were not malicious and were fair game because the issues were in the public interest and had been widely reported.

Judge awards legal costs to former Vancouver mayor

Ottawa to spend $1.5B on drugs for rare diseases

Ottawa to spend $1.5B on drugs for rare diseases
The federal government says it will spend up to $1.5 billion over the next three years to improve access to drugs used to treat rare diseases. Health Minister Jean-Yves Duclos says up to $1.4 billion of that money will be used to help provinces and territories expand coverage of new and existing drugs that treat rare diseases.

Ottawa to spend $1.5B on drugs for rare diseases

Biden visit puts defence spending under microscope

Biden visit puts defence spending under microscope
American presidents have a long history of pushing Canada to spend more on its military, including Barack Obama in a speech to Parliament in 2016. Such pressure has come as Canada consistently lags most of its allies in terms of defence spending as a percentage of its national GDP.

Biden visit puts defence spending under microscope

One man killed in West Vancouver homicide

One man killed in West Vancouver homicide
A statement from West Vancouver police says the male victim was involved in an altercation with an unknown man just before 5 p.m. Tuesday. The statement does not confirm how the victim died.

One man killed in West Vancouver homicide

Suspect charged with mischief after more than 20 panes of glass were intentionally shattered at bus shelters: VPD

Suspect charged with mischief after more than 20 panes of glass were intentionally shattered at bus shelters: VPD
VPD officers responded to Granville and Georgia Street around 1:30 a.m. following reports that a man with a hammer was walking down the street and smashing glass at bus stops. Sergey Kurmanaev was taken to jail and has been charged with one count of mischief over $5,000.

Suspect charged with mischief after more than 20 panes of glass were intentionally shattered at bus shelters: VPD