Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Kamloops nation gets $12.5M for healing centre

Kamloops nation gets $12.5M for healing centre
Indigenous Services Minister Patty Hajdu told a crowd in Kamloops, B.C., that the nation has led the way in opening the eyes of the country to the truths that were always known to Indigenous Peoples.

Kamloops nation gets $12.5M for healing centre

B.C. boosts funding to train more veterinarians

B.C. boosts funding to train more veterinarians
The college has been training B.C.'s veterinarians for five decades, and she said the multi-year funding boost will give students "certainty," while addressing the need to train and retain vets in communities essential to B.C.'s food security.

B.C. boosts funding to train more veterinarians

Minister stands by B.C. salmon farm closures

Minister stands by B.C. salmon farm closures
A statement from the office of Fisheries Minister Joyce Murray says her decision last month against renewing the licences for the farms off Vancouver Island near Campbell River was difficult but necessary.

Minister stands by B.C. salmon farm closures

B.C. LNG facility maps plan to early net zero

B.C. LNG facility maps plan to early net zero
Woodfibre LNG says in a statement it plans to meet net-zero emissions by the time operations start at the south coast export facility in 2027. Company president Christine Kennedy says emission reduction opportunities are a priority for the project as it implements a strategy that will result in the world's first net-zero facility.    

B.C. LNG facility maps plan to early net zero

Surrey shooting victim's identity revealed, search for suspect vehicle continues

Surrey shooting victim's identity revealed, search for suspect vehicle continues
Police say they responded to reports of shots fired just before 8 p.m. that day and found Smith's body. Investigators say Smith and his family had only recently moved to the city. IHIT says in a news release that the suspect left the area in a white Penske Ford Transit rental van shortly after the shooting.  

Surrey shooting victim's identity revealed, search for suspect vehicle continues

Driver in hospital after striking the centre median in Surrey, road closures in effect

Driver in hospital after striking the centre median in Surrey, road closures in effect
A black Jaguar sedan was travelling west bound on 72nd avenue when it lost control and struck the centre median. The adult male driver of the Jaguar was taken to a local area hospital in critical condition with life threatening injuries.

Driver in hospital after striking the centre median in Surrey, road closures in effect