Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Dog, cat custody to be built into B.C. laws

Dog, cat custody to be built into B.C. laws
Attorney General Niki Sharma says amendments she introduced in B.C.'s legislature will clarify the law around pets, property and pensions for couples and families going through a separation or divorce.

Dog, cat custody to be built into B.C. laws

Canada goose population 'havoc' on B.C. park space

Canada goose population 'havoc' on B.C. park space
The Vancouver Board of Parks and Recreation wants the public to report a nest sighting so staff can replace the eggs with ones that have been frozen to help control the population. Vancouver is an ideal habitat for the birds, with few natural predators and plenty of newly seeded fields and lawns.

Canada goose population 'havoc' on B.C. park space

Tribunal orders payout over caste discrimination

Tribunal orders payout over caste discrimination
Tribunal adjudicator Sonya Pighin says brothers Inderjit and Avninder Dhillon used a caste-based slur against Bhangu during the brawl at the B.C. firm's 2018 party, and ordered that they pay him $9,755 in compensation.

Tribunal orders payout over caste discrimination

B.C. to provide 330 new homes for DTES residents

B.C. to provide 330 new homes for DTES residents
Ravi Kahlon, who announced the new initiative at an afternoon news conference alongside Vancouver Mayor Ken Sim, said there are currently about 117 people living on East Hastings Street, 70 of whom have expressed a desire for housing.    

B.C. to provide 330 new homes for DTES residents

Two injured after shooting in Chilliwack, B.C.

Two injured after shooting in Chilliwack, B.C.
The RCMP say that police arrived and found two victims with multiple gun shot wounds. They say officers immediately provided first aid until Emergency Health Services arrived and transported the victims to hospital.

Two injured after shooting in Chilliwack, B.C.

Calgary house explosion leaves at least 10 injured

Calgary house explosion leaves at least 10 injured
Adam Loria, a spokesman for Calgary Emergency Medical Services, says all the people sent to hospital are adults. He says six people were in life-threatening condition and four received serious injuries.

Calgary house explosion leaves at least 10 injured