Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Charges laid in March 12th shooting incident

Charges laid in March 12th shooting incident
37-year-old Craig Truckle of Nanaimo and of no fixed address has been arrested in connection with the March 12th shooting which sent a 39-year-old man to hospital with serious injuries. At approximately 11 pm on Wednesday Truckle was arrested without incident in downtown Nanaimo by front line officers and taken into police custody.

Charges laid in March 12th shooting incident

Funeral for 2 officers shot and killed in Edmonton

Funeral for 2 officers shot and killed in Edmonton
The funeral for Const. Travis Jordan, who was 35, and Const. Brett Ryan, who was 30, is planned to be held in the afternoon at the home arena for the Edmonton Oilers of the National Hockey League. The service is not open to the public but there will be a livestream, which is to be broadcast in an outdoor plaza near the arena.

Funeral for 2 officers shot and killed in Edmonton

Border crossings returning to pre-pandemic hours

Border crossings returning to pre-pandemic hours
The changes will take effect on March 31. The border agency first restricted hours at land border crossings in April 2020, closing many points of entry early and stopping 24-hour service at seven crossings.

Border crossings returning to pre-pandemic hours

Audit finds major barriers on planes, trains

Audit finds major barriers on planes, trains
Auditor general Karen Hogan says in the report that Via Rail and the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority have made accessibility improvements over the last several years, but serious gaps still remain.

Audit finds major barriers on planes, trains

Budget to include rebate to help with groceries

Budget to include rebate to help with groceries
The NDP had called on the federal government to extend the measure. In the lead up to the budget, Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland has promised targeted inflation relief for low-income Canadians.

Budget to include rebate to help with groceries

PM stayed in $6k London suite for royal funeral

PM stayed in $6k London suite for royal funeral
The stay at the Corinthia London hotel became the subject of public debate last fall when media honed in on the details of the $400,000 trip, after obtaining documents through access-to-information requests.

PM stayed in $6k London suite for royal funeral