Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Federal budget includes $59.5B in new spending

Federal budget includes $59.5B in new spending
To alleviate the pressure of rising grocery prices, the federal government has extended the GST rebate boost offered in the fall. The rebate, which will go to lower income Canadians, will deliver up to $234 to a single person and up to $467 to a couple with two children.

Federal budget includes $59.5B in new spending

Dental program cost set to more than double

Dental program cost set to more than double
That benefit will be scrapped by June 2024. In its place, Tuesday's budget shows the Liberals are planning a government-administered insurance program, at a cost of $13 billion over five years beginning in fiscal year 2023-24.    

Dental program cost set to more than double

B.C. councillor resigns, called mayor 'Mr. Hitler'

B.C. councillor resigns, called mayor 'Mr. Hitler'
At a March 20 meeting, Smyth took issue with a decision not to livestream advisory committee meetings about an official community plan or release committee members' CVs. Smyth said the move was done in a "very political way," something that was denied by Mayor Peter Jones who said it was a "practical approach" before ending questions.

B.C. councillor resigns, called mayor 'Mr. Hitler'

B.C. to secure access to drug of social media fame

B.C. to secure access to drug of social media fame
 Adrian Dix said in January that the government would be investigating why almost 10 per cent of prescriptions for the drug in B.C. were filled for American citizens. Dix said at the time that the dramatic increase in demand for the diabetes drug was partly because of social media "influencers" who spoke about its weight loss benefits.

B.C. to secure access to drug of social media fame

Unprecedented construction needed in B.C.: Report

Unprecedented construction needed in B.C.: Report
The province must build 25 per cent more new homes than usual for the next five years to address deteriorating housing affordability. The association said construction needs to be ramped up to a record 43,000 housing completions a year for the next five years to counteract rapid population growth.

Unprecedented construction needed in B.C.: Report

32 year old Inderdeep Singh Gosal charged with murder in Vancouver Starbucks stabbing

32 year old Inderdeep Singh Gosal charged with murder in Vancouver Starbucks stabbing
Police say the stabbing happened Sunday after a brief altercation between two men outside the coffee shop in the city's downtown core. 32 year old Inderdeep Singh Gosal is accused of second-degree murder.    

32 year old Inderdeep Singh Gosal charged with murder in Vancouver Starbucks stabbing