Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Hate crime team joins Kelowna, B.C., assault probe

Hate crime team joins Kelowna, B.C., assault probe
Police say a suspect group has been identified, but no arrests have been made. The reason for the attack and the details linked to it are still being determined and the 21-year-old student is being supported by the Mounties' victim services unit.

Hate crime team joins Kelowna, B.C., assault probe

Surrey morning crash results in road closures in the area of 152nd St

Surrey morning crash results in road closures in the area of 152nd St
Due to the location of the collision and the subsequent downed power line, 64th avenue is closed from 152nd street to 146th street. 148th street is closed from 68th avenue to 62nd avenue. Motorists are asked to avoid the area and find a different route for their morning commute.  

Surrey morning crash results in road closures in the area of 152nd St

Funeral next week for slain Edmonton officers

Funeral next week for slain Edmonton officers
Police say a regimental funeral has been scheduled for two Edmonton officers who were shot and killed in the line of duty last week. The funeral for Travis Jordan, who was 35, and Brett Ryan, 30, is to be held March 27 at Rogers Place, the home arena for the Edmonton Oilers of the National Hockey League.

Funeral next week for slain Edmonton officers

B.C. doctor faces second sex assault charge

B.C. doctor faces second sex assault charge
Police in Delta, B.C., say Dr. Olumuyiwa Bamgbade, who operated a pain clinic in that community before relocating it to neighbouring Surrey, faces another charge of sexual assault over an alleged incident in 2019.

B.C. doctor faces second sex assault charge

Nexus traveller program to resume by April 24

Nexus traveller program to resume by April 24
The Canada Border Services Agency says enrolment centres will reopen for applicant sit-downs at the Halifax and Winnipeg airports on March 27, followed by a staggered reopening at the six other airports where customs preclearance is an option, including the final two in Toronto and Ottawa on April 24.

Nexus traveller program to resume by April 24

Two staff members stabbed at Halifax high school

Two staff members stabbed at Halifax high school
Police said they responded to a weapons complaint at around 9:20 a.m., and a suspect was taken into custody about 10 minutes later at Charles P. Allen High School in the suburb of Bedford. A teacher at the school said it appears a male student was in the school's front office with a vice-principal when the student suddenly became violent.

Two staff members stabbed at Halifax high school