Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. government orders probe of Prince George RCMP

B.C. government orders probe of Prince George RCMP
The independent commission that ensures the impartial examination of complaints about the RCMP already issued an interim report to the RCMP commissioner about the matter and Farnworth's office says the commissioner agreed with the report's findings and recommendations.

B.C. government orders probe of Prince George RCMP

Surrey Council approves contract for 152 Street Road Widening Project

Surrey Council approves contract for 152 Street Road Widening Project
During Monday night’s meeting, Surrey Council also awarded a $594,278 Consultant Construction Agreement to McElhanney Ltd., and approved the expenditure of $850,000 payable to BC Hydro for the relocation and modification of BC Hydro infrastructure necessary for the project.

Surrey Council approves contract for 152 Street Road Widening Project

New West Police and BC anti-gang task force investigation results in seizure of guns, large amounts of cocaine and fentanyl, and arrest of 5 men

New West Police and BC anti-gang task force investigation results in seizure of guns, large amounts of cocaine and fentanyl, and arrest of 5 men
All were arrested at various locations throughout the Lower Mainland on March 7th and have remained in custody overnight.  The investigation remains ongoing and CFSEU-BC anticipates that more charges may be forthcoming.

New West Police and BC anti-gang task force investigation results in seizure of guns, large amounts of cocaine and fentanyl, and arrest of 5 men

Man in B.C.'s north dies after hit by snow plow

Man in B.C.'s north dies after hit by snow plow
The pedestrian was on a street in a business area of Fort St. John when he was hit Monday. A statement from RCMP says bystanders provided first aid but the unresponsive victim was pronounced dead in hospital.    

Man in B.C.'s north dies after hit by snow plow

Safety board to release report on B.C. tug sinking

Safety board to release report on B.C. tug sinking
Transportation Safety Board chair Kathy Fox and Clifford Harvey, the director of marine investigations, will hold a news conference to reveal the findings on the sinking of the tug Ingenika in February 2021. The tug was towing a barge and had a captain and two crew members aboard when it took on water and sank in Gardner Canal.    

Safety board to release report on B.C. tug sinking

Metro Vancouver homeless count underway

Metro Vancouver homeless count underway
The association says its volunteers try to be as accurate as possible in order to understand who is living without safe, affordable, appropriate housing, and why they are in that situation. That count was completed less than a week before the pandemic was declared and it identified 3,634 people who were experiencing homelessness.

Metro Vancouver homeless count underway