Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. court tosses guilty pleas amid Charter claim

B.C. court tosses guilty pleas amid Charter claim
Beverley Keith Klassen was arrested in Surrey, B.C., in August 2016 and pleaded guilty to drug trafficking midway through a trial, while his female co-accused was later found guilty.

B.C. court tosses guilty pleas amid Charter claim

B.C. plans online image sharing law

B.C. plans online image sharing law
Niki Sharma told the legislature that the legislation would create new legal rights and remedies people could use to stop the distribution of their intimate images and to seek compensation for the harms it caused.

B.C. plans online image sharing law

North Van collision claims life of a cyclist in her 40's

North Van collision claims life of a cyclist in her 40's
The cyclist has been identified as a resident of North Vancouver in her 40’s. Police are in the process of conducting a next of kin notification. The cause of the collision is still under investigation.

North Van collision claims life of a cyclist in her 40's

Mounties probing leaks on alleged foreign meddling

Mounties probing leaks on alleged foreign meddling
The RCMP says it has opened an investigation into possible violations of the Security of Information Act concerning recent media reports about alleged foreign interference. In a statement to The Canadian Press, the national police force says the probe is not focused on any one security agency.

Mounties probing leaks on alleged foreign meddling

Man, 22, dead after Vancouver stabbing

Man, 22, dead after Vancouver stabbing
The Vancouver Police Department says in a news release that officers responded to a home near Boundary Road and East 45th Avenue after receiving reports about a man being stabbed around 10 p.m. Friday. Police say they found 22-year-old Caleb Morin, who was taken to hospital and later died of his injures.

Man, 22, dead after Vancouver stabbing

B.C. woman killed at resort in Mexico

B.C. woman killed at resort in Mexico
The woman has been identified by family members as Kiara Agnew from Dawson Creek, B.C. Mexican prosecutors have confirmed the woman was found dead Friday, adding he is in custody and possible charges are being considered.

B.C. woman killed at resort in Mexico