Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Two skiers survive separate avalanches in B.C.

Two skiers survive separate avalanches in B.C.
The Avalanche Canada website says both events happened Saturday and each one involved a fully buried skier who was saved because of the quick work of others in their group. Both victims had to be airlifted to hospital after smashing against trees and suffering various injuries while being swept along by the snow.    

Two skiers survive separate avalanches in B.C.

Death in Maple Ridge deemed suspicious, victim identified as Surinderjit Singh

Death in Maple Ridge deemed suspicious, victim identified as Surinderjit Singh
The victim has been identified as 55-year old Surinderjit Singh of Maple Ridge. Mr. Singh’s death is not believed to be related to the Lower Mainland gang conflict. Initial evidence suggests that Mr. Singh arrived at the location at approximately 9:30 p.m. on Friday.     

Death in Maple Ridge deemed suspicious, victim identified as Surinderjit Singh

Vancouver to end status as 'living wage' city

Vancouver to end status as 'living wage' city
 The city says in a statement that the living wage rate for 2023 would have gone up more than 17 per cent to just above $24 per hour, immediately influencing its pay structure. A statement posted by the group Living Wage for Families calls Vancouver's decision "incredibly disappointing."

Vancouver to end status as 'living wage' city

Coquitlam RCMP seek additional victims or witnesses in unprovoked assault with a pellet gun

Coquitlam RCMP seek additional victims or witnesses in unprovoked assault with a pellet gun
The victims were walking on Glen Drive when the suspect males walking behind them shot both their legs with more than a dozen pellets. The victims suffered minor injuries. The suspects fled on foot east-bound on Glen Drive in Coquitlam.

Coquitlam RCMP seek additional victims or witnesses in unprovoked assault with a pellet gun

VPD investigates Granville Street triple stabbing

VPD investigates Granville Street triple stabbing
Three men, all in their early 20s, got into a verbal altercation in the west lane of Granville Street at Nelson just before 7:30 p.m. The argument escalated and turned violent, resulting in all three being stabbed. The men were taken to hospital by ambulance and are expected to survive.

VPD investigates Granville Street triple stabbing

Will the Bank of Canada raise its key interest rate again?

Will the Bank of Canada raise its key interest rate again?
Since last March, the central bank has raised its key rate from near-zero to 4.5 per cent, the highest it's been since 2007. The central bank's next rate decision is set for Wednesday.

Will the Bank of Canada raise its key interest rate again?