Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Trudeau Foundation returning 2016 donation

Trudeau Foundation returning 2016 donation
Pascale Fournier, the president and CEO of the Trudeau Foundation, which the prime minister has not been involved with since becoming leader, says the amount has been refunded.

Trudeau Foundation returning 2016 donation

No charges in B.C. money laundering investigation

No charges in B.C. money laundering investigation
Considine, a senior Victoria lawyer, was appointed last March to conduct an independent charge assessment of the multi-year E-Nationalize investigation, which concluded in 2021 and proposed eight charges against Paul King Jin of Richmond, B.C.    

No charges in B.C. money laundering investigation

Collision on Highway 5 leaves 3 dead and 2 others in critical condition

Collision on Highway 5 leaves 3 dead and 2 others in critical condition
On Tuesday at around 11am officials were notified of a multiple vehicle collision involving 3 vehicles in the 3300 block of Hwy #5 near Clearwater BC. The highway will be closed for a at least few hours while the investigation proceeds.

Collision on Highway 5 leaves 3 dead and 2 others in critical condition

B.C. invests $150 million in 911 system upgrade

B.C. invests $150 million in 911 system upgrade
Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth says the $150-million investment will upgrade the aging system to the Next Generation 911 system and make it more compatible with evolving technology. Oliver Gruter-Andrew, the CEO of E-Comm 911, which handles most of B.C.'s emergency calls, says the funding is a game-changer for the public safety agency.    

B.C. invests $150 million in 911 system upgrade

B.C. agrees to $27-billion health deal with Ottawa

B.C. agrees to $27-billion health deal with Ottawa
The money for B.C. includes an immediate $273 million to address urgent needs, especially in pediatric hospitals and emergency rooms and to address long wait times for surgeries.

B.C. agrees to $27-billion health deal with Ottawa

MPs to question officials on foreign meddling

MPs to question officials on foreign meddling
The Liberal government has come under pressure in recent weeks to explain what Canada is doing about accusations of Chinese meddling in the last two federal elections following leaks to the media from security sources.

MPs to question officials on foreign meddling