Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. finance minister to table her first budget

B.C. finance minister to table her first budget
Conroy says the prospect of a multibillion-dollar surplus similar to last year's budget is not in the forecast. She says that almost $6-billion surplus was an anomaly that allowed the NDP government to announce numerous spending initiatives on health, affordability, infrastructure and housing.

B.C. finance minister to table her first budget

Snow delays, cancellations, on B.C. south coast

Snow delays, cancellations, on B.C. south coast
The North and West Vancouver school districts called a snow day for all public schools while Simon Fraser University cancelled morning classes at all its campuses and a statement from Vancouver International Airport says visibility and de-icing of aircraft have been affected by the unexpectedly heavy snowfall.

Snow delays, cancellations, on B.C. south coast

Vancouver police apologize after mistaken arrest

Vancouver police apologize after mistaken arrest
The suspect who police thought they were arresting was considered armed and dangerous, and potentially in possession of a firearm, so the department's emergency response team was deployed. Police say during the arrest officers shot the man with two rubber bullets.

Vancouver police apologize after mistaken arrest

Aid agencies ask for increased funding in 2023

Aid agencies ask for increased funding in 2023
The request comes in a letter signed by 75 non-governmental organizations, including the Canadian chapters of groups such as Oxfam, Save the Children, Unicef and World Vision. They're asking Freeland to increase international aid funding from the $8.15 billion pledged in the last budget and to gradually ramp that figure up to $10 billion by 2025. 

Aid agencies ask for increased funding in 2023

Crash near Castlegar, B.C., claims two lives

Crash near Castlegar, B.C., claims two lives
The two Nelson residents, aged 68 and 79, were in the back seat of the Toyota and died at the scene. Police say the driver and front-seat passenger were taken to hospital while the driver of the pickup truck was not badly hurt.

Crash near Castlegar, B.C., claims two lives

Border agents finds cache of weapons in B.C.

Border agents finds cache of weapons in B.C.
The agency says more prohibited weapons were also found at a Chilliwack home the day after the arrest. It says the list of weapons included 13 conducted energy weapons, better known as Tasers, 360 stun guns, 171 stun batons and hundreds of prohibited knives and brass knuckles.    

Border agents finds cache of weapons in B.C.