Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

More southern B.C. snow coming after weekend storm

More southern B.C. snow coming after weekend storm
The weather office says 10 to 15 centimetres could cover those areas by Tuesday morning and much of the inner south coast could see a dusting at the same time. Most models call for two to three centimetres from Squamish to Chilliwack, but higher elevations of North and West Vancouver could see eight to 10 centimetres.

More southern B.C. snow coming after weekend storm

Richmond RCMP seeking witnesses after two random, violent assaults on women on Valentine's Day

Richmond RCMP seeking witnesses after two random, violent assaults on women on Valentine's Day
On February 17th, investigators arrested 41-year old Ernesto Mendoza Malgapo of Richmond.  Malgapo currently remains in custody, facing one charge of Assault Causing Bodily Harm. 

Richmond RCMP seeking witnesses after two random, violent assaults on women on Valentine's Day

B.C. New Democrat MLA to resign her Vancouver seat

B.C. New Democrat MLA to resign her Vancouver seat
The Vancouver-Mount Pleasant member of the legislature, who recently returned from a six-month medical leave, says she is leaving and expects her last day to be the end of March.    

B.C. New Democrat MLA to resign her Vancouver seat

Canada aims to boost Arctic defence capacity

Canada aims to boost Arctic defence capacity
Anand says Ottawa has already committed almost $40 billion towards that end, and the result will be "a new northern-approach surveillance system" that will detect threats farther and farther north to protect Canadian sovereignty in the Arctic.

Canada aims to boost Arctic defence capacity

Hit-and-run driver charged in connection with the death of a 24-year-old pedestrian in Kitsilano last summer

Hit-and-run driver charged in connection with the death of a 24-year-old pedestrian in Kitsilano last summer
The victim and a friend were crossing West 4th Avenue at Arbutus Street around 11:30 p.m. June 19, 2022 when he was struck and killed. The driver failed to stop or offer assistance.

Hit-and-run driver charged in connection with the death of a 24-year-old pedestrian in Kitsilano last summer

Tim Hortons parent company plots growth

Tim Hortons parent company plots growth
Patrick Doyle — credited with having the Midas touch after transforming Domino's lagging sales into meteoric growth — told investors during a wide-ranging conversation on Wednesday that each of the company's brands is positioned for momentum and growth.

Tim Hortons parent company plots growth